Thursday, January 05, 2006

Seating charts and pseudonyms

The group is moving. From here, the frigid side of the office, near the elevators, where it’s quiet, and lonely, and nobody looks over my shoulder while I’m blogging because nobody comes over here, to the other side of the office where it’s loud, and busy, and maybe not so cold, but busy, where people walk by, and look at your computer as they do.

But whatever, that’s not what this post is about. People looking over my shoulder will just provide another opportunity for me to develop my skills at hiding blogger and AIM.

This post is about the seating chart.

It’s tentative, as always, and we may not be moving for another two months (St. Patrick’s Day), but, as it is, I’m sitting directly across from the pretty girl.

Yes, the one who I asked out to dinner after like two months here, the one who said yes but never went, the one who may or may not be sleeping with the oafish manager, the one who Johnny Sapphire and Felicity met and said was not pretty at all and what the hell were you thinking Tom when you called her pretty? That one.

[small aside, for those readers who I know can never get enough of pretty girl posts, and also, can never find all the links, here they are in chronological order:
1 The time I asked her out
2 When I was still smitten and she complimented my tie
3 How she kept not going out with me
4 a very poignant post (really, check the comments)
5 how to avoid a date
6 really drunk with people from the office
7 the one with all the links
8 the last time I posted about her “NotSoPrettyGirl”


This is awful. Because, well, I’m over her. I’ve been un-obsessed since the “she’s not really that pretty” incident. Now I’ll be working right across the aisle from her. That means I’m probably going to find out she’s stupid, part of that giant ninety percent of stupid people that work here. I’m going to end up hating her.

That will only lead to me second guessing myself, maybe my first impressions are all wrong for everyone. Maybe everyone is stupid. Maybe I’m a bad person and my talent is finding, and then focusing, on the bad in everyone.

Anyway. I’m making an effort to identify the daily players in this office farce more clearly. An attempt at more specific and better nicknames, so as it looks like pretty girl is a potential recurring character, I think I’ll be calling her Not So Pretty Girl. Because that’s something people will remember. Also, the capitalization helps.

Or not, I’m open to suggestions for better names. J.S., F. you guys have met her – any thoughts?
-t          

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um...I would say she's more of a misguided wannabe-hippie type. I tend to be a bit of a harsh critic when I'm drunk, and it was 4 months ago, but a flowered tunic? I expected more from her.

e$ said...

you could always acronym it up, ie:

"moved my seat across from NSPG..."

but I kind of hate blogs that use acronyms, so maybe it's a bad thought.