Monday, August 08, 2005

A long way to get, before I get back home

An Annual Dan Goldin Day celebration will be taking place again this year (you know, becuase it's annual).

This year Dan Goldin Day (November 17th) falls on a Thursday, so we will be observing it Friday, November 18th to encourage use of the long weekend. Recently, however, I have been toying with the idea of taking the Thursday, Friday, and possibly the next Monday too (in recognition of Dan Goldin's monumental contribution to my education, of course), and driving to a faraway place. Like Milwaukee, or possibly Chicago, or, maybe both, because they're close by (relatively speaking).

Why Milwaukee you ask? Why, because Donny's out there. (by the way, Donny, I might be driving out to Milwaukee the weekend of November 18th) And why Chicago? Because that's where ER is filmed, and that was my favorite show on television for a while (it was the period between the end of Star Trek, The Next Generation and the opening of The West Wing - and I think I mean favorite hour-long show on television, because otherwise I'd have to start sorting through half-hour sitcoms like Friends, Titus, Malcom In The Middle, Futurama, etc, and also have to consider shorts like Celebrity DeathMatch, and Banana Man, but this is all a little off topic) . Chicago also seems to be a favorite city of a number of people (Kelly and Samantha among them), so why not give it a shot? Maybe I can catch a Blackhawks game.

Plus, I'll get to, you know, drive my new truck. Woohoo!

-tom

recommended downloads:
Ryan Adams, The Bar Is A Beautiful Place
Bob Schneider, A Long Way To Get

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

uh how about philadelphia? there was no official winner of the haiku competition but i would say hands down i won. and so you owe me a cheesesteak.

Tom said...

what's this about a competition?
cheesesteak? wha? ...

Donny said...

Ray asked when he could come to visit this fall and I told him mid-November would be good. I will be taking an exam on Tuesday, the 8th. You two should try to coordinate trips. It would be a blast.

Johnny Sapphire said...

This year for Dan Goldin Day I am going to Italy, where I promise to hire a taxi driver, pay him in advance, and then not get in the cab.

You know, in his honor.

Tom said...

excellent. I can't think of a better way to celebrate.

Anonymous said...

are you kidding me? are you really going to make me link you back to your own blog? Because that is so pathetic.

with whiz or without
that is not a hard question
definitely with

mance01 said...

GO TO CHICAGO!! I wanted to go the Chicago Fire's last home game in October, but the budget will not allow. Go. Have fun. Celebrate Dan Goldin (whoever he may be.) :)

Tom said...

a diligent reader will have searched the archives for the entries on or just before last year's Dan Goldin Day celebrations, and would know a bit more about it. ;)

mance01 said...

Honestly Tom, with the severity of my narcolepsy, you're lucky I'm awake enough hours of the day to read your new posts...let alone the archives :-p

Tom said...

gee, sleeping all day...what a curse.

would that we were all so afflicted.
-t

Anonymous said...

WHY AREN'T YOU ACKNOWLEDGING MY HAIKU???

Tom said...

hey adina! I'm writing to acknowledge


YOUR ENGAGEMENT! CONGRATULATIONS!

;)
-tgme