Friday, June 10, 2005

Third time's the charm

So, twice now I've posted about being stuck in the revolving doors. (once, twice, two times a lady). It happened again Wednesday.

But this time it was my fault.

I went out to lunch, and sort of just walked around for a while. I stopped in Borders and bought a few new books (Shadow Puppets, Prelude to Foundation, Foundation, and Sins Past). Then I went and grabbed a slice of pizza and a drink, and then I headed back into the building.

The items I was carrying were unwieldy. The pizza was hot, and the oil was soaking through the paper bag. The drink was covered in condensation and slipping out of my hands. The books were in a bag in the other hand. I had no free hand to get my security card to swipe into the door. So when I got up to the door I had to do a little juggling (which I can do, btw) to free up a hand. While I was transferring the pizza to one hand, and the drink to the crook of my elbow, and reaching for the security ID I took my eyes off the door. That was my mistake.

As soon as I had fished the ID out of my pocket I swiped and stepped into the door. I had not seen the person on the other side trying to exit while I was rearranging my purchases. We got stuck. But! having been in this situation before, I was prepared. I simply pushed the door through its rotation and entered the building. Cool, calm, collected, and covered in drink condensation, pizza oil, and dropping books left and right.

Next time, I'll just have more hands.

-Tom
recommended download:
Stephen Kellogg, Who Am I

No comments: