Monday, January 26, 2009

Last Complaint For A While

I've been bored out of my mind for six months, at least.


You would think six months of boredom would resolve itself into imaginative blog posts. Lots of them. It's certainly what I would expect.

Unfortunately, for you, readers, this isn't your typical "There's nothing to doooo, I'm booooored" boredom. Instead it is the boredom associated with seemingly endless busy work.

I am responsible for completing activities that require little to no though at all, leaving my mind free to wander, and my typing fingers shackled to the keyboard. Forever.

Even my vaunted efficiency is no help, as there really is no end in sight.

Formerly (you remember hypermanager, and the stupid kid, right?), my days would start with an avalanche of busy work, an hour break near lunchtime, another hour of work, then nothing to do until quitting time. This left ample opportunities to consider, compose, and creatively format entries.

Later, I spent some time doing zero work for eight hours a day and getting paid. That was too much to take.

And now I don't have one minute's peace for eight hours a day, five days a week. Plenty of space in the cerebellum for imagination, wrestling of weighty social issues, hilarious puns; no time for typing.

These ideas, topics, without an outlet, bounce around in my brain, jumble, until they are no longer recognizable. The consequence, for you, is there is never anything new here.

However, I was recently asked what vice I would be giving up for Lent (a Catholic season of spiritual preparation for the celebratin of the Easter holiday), and have just decided to give up: whining.

In addition to giving up something negative, or self-indulgent, for Lent, it is also encouraged, to do more of something positive.

So I'm also going to post more. Maybe even every day.

Here's hoping practice improves my style.

-t

2 comments:

craziasian said...

praise be the lord (lard?)!

eileen said...

I look forward to your more frequent, less complainy posts :)