Saturday, April 28, 2007

Interview

Eileen from Divine Comedy of Errors asked me a few questions:


1. If you were in charge of the Red Sox and had unlimited funds to sign one player, who would you choose? Assume all current MLB players are available.

- I'll point you to my earlier post, Another Impossible Dream?. I'd sign Alex Rodriguez with absolutely no hesitation to a six year deal, minimum. and move him back to shortstop. I'd trade Lugo for a power-hitting first baseman (Helton? Might need a third team on the deal, the Rockies need pitching more than a shortstop - I'd probably platoon Helton with Youk for half the season, reevaluate after the All Star break, then use Helton or Lowell as trade bait to deal with needs).

If not A-Rod, I'd sign Johan Santana for another ten years. Beckett, Santana, and Matsuzaka would mean fifty-four to sixty wins a season for plenty of years.


2. If you switched careers, what would your new job be? (stay with the realm of plausibility for this one)

-Teacher, I like to teach, and I'm super good at messing with their young impressionable minds.

I'm not a teacher because I need money to buy a house and, you know, food.


3. Who was the best teacher you ever had?

-Brother Fred Eid, high school, freshman, junior, and senior year. He taught math, art, and moderated the newspaper and photography club. His presentation on limits is the reason I majored in math. He moved like a hummingbird, never wasted one moment, moving from the classroom to the news room to the studio to the athletic field and back. He probably didn't sleep. He was a gifted artist and educator, and if I had half of his energy you'd all think I was a coke fiend.


4. If you had to live in a foreign country for the rest of your life, which one would it be?

-Ireland - I hear the Guiness tastes better there. -or-

Japan - super technologically advanced, volcanoes, earthquakes, giant mutated lizards - yeah, I could totally handle living in Japan.


5. Do you have any unusual pet peeves?

-Not that I'm aware of. I hate stupid people, and Yankee fans, but I don't think that's unusual.

Ah. Driviers making poorly, or incorretly executed left-hand turns. Drives me crazy. Enter the intesection, then proceed with your turn, don't cut off oncoming traffic trying to get over! GAH!

Turning Left
When making any left turn, you must first yield
the right-of-way to any...
• Oncoming vehicle
• Vehicle already in the intersection
• Pedestrians or bicyclists crossing your
intended path of travel

from Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles Rules of the Road chapter 4


Ok, that's it, want to play along? Rules of the game:

1. Send an email saying, “Interview me”, or words to that effect.

2. I will respond by emailing you five questions of my choosing.

3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.

4. You have to include this explanation, and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.

5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions...

3 comments:

mance01 said...

pick me! pick me!

(maybe that will force me to write a blog post. because good lord i am the most malingering blogger ever.)

Jessi said...

Watch it with the teachers not making enough money comment! We make plenty. Just depends where you work and hey, since you are a guy that seems to like action you could actually get higher pay by teaching at an inner city school. They usually compensate you for the risk you take by actually teaching there. Sure you may get a couple of stab wounds, but hey an extra 5,000 may be worth it. In Georgia you can start out making 40,000 plus health coverage and retirement plan is good. :) Just thought you should know that your dream isn't so bad and that you could become one and still have a decent living. Trust me I am a fatty, food is no problem.

Tom said...

rereading these posts after spring training started for '09. A-rod is out with a hip cyst, Santana might be hurt. I'd try to sign Lincecum, Reyes, and maybe Pujols.