Friday, January 12, 2007

The Big Move

I'm moving in June.

Well, maybe.

Here's the thing. Whether or not I'm moving (from Boston, to a new city) is entirely dependent on a number of things that I have no influence over. Circumnstances beyond my control.

If things go one way, I'll be moving; if they go another, I won't.

I should know soon, maybe, but I don't know yet.

Which is why interviewing for a new job last week seemed a little weird.

"Hi, I'm Tom. I hated my first job so much I took the first thing that was offered to me when I was trying to leave. I hate that new job so much that I'm trying to leave after only five months.

But I promise this time if you hire me I won't hate your firm. Really. Unless I have to work with stupid people. Or insolent, lazy people. You don't have any of those types working here, do you?"

That was last week (a direct quote, btw), and I have been half-agonzing over this decision: What if they offer me the job? Do I take it knowing it's very likely I'll be moving in six months? What if they offer the job, I decline, and then don't move? Will I have opted out of the greatest job ever?

Only half-agonizing because I don't really want the job. My dream is to run a t-shirt printing business, so I'm more than certain finance isn't the way to go.

But it seems like a moot point. It's been three days and I haven't heard anything from the new company. Nothing from the recruiter who set up the interview, zip.

Which makes the decision to stay here, at a job I can come in any day of the week, sign on to gmail, and then play scrabble online all day, a pretty easy one.

They're paying me to goof around all day, and no one else is hiring?

I guess I'll stay.

-t
recommended download:
Foreigner, Head Games
Marcy Playground, America

1 comment:

Donny said...

Would you like me to set up some interviews for you here in Milwaukee?