Monday, November 20, 2006

More than just the normal amount of confused...

So I was messed up this morning. Utterly and hopelessly confused. And, unbeknownst to me, dreaming:

I was back in high school, bookbag slung over one shoulder, wandering the empty hallways trying to remember my schedule.

Not only was I required to remember which classes I had and in which order, I also needed to remember which day of the rotation it was. (Anybody else have rotating schedules in high school? We had seven class periods on a seven day rotation, so each period was the first period of the day at some point. There was a big sign hung just inside the front door: "Today is Day Six")

So, I'm wandering the halls and I decide to head over to AP Calculus, because that's probably the class I'm late for, but I get there and the room is full of freshmen, so clearly, I'm wrong. I then head back downstairs to the cafeteria where I start questioning the few stragglers still eating Hostess Chocolate Covered Mini Donuts and chocolate milk. "What day is today?"

I finally get an answer from a kid copying his buddy's homework. He says something like "It's the end of days." which confused me for a little bit, in the dream, until, still in the dream, I figure he must mean "It's the last day of the rotation," namely, "Day Eight," which is, in itself, preposterous, because, it's a seven day rotation.

But, as I said, it apparently made sense, because I knew where to go. I headed back upstairs to the math hallway and instead of going to AP Calculus I went to the sophmore geometry class.

That's when I woke up. I think.

I'm not sure because I remember seeing my alarm clock read 6:56 AM and then next thing I can remember for certain happening in real life was realizing my alarm clock said 8:38 AM. This is after I'd showered and gotten dressed.

Now, since my alarm clock is set for seven forty-five I think we can assume that I was dreaming for about forty-five minutes just before my alarm went off. I think we can also assume that I was totally out of it based solely on the fact that I didn't realize I was even awake for almost an hour after that.

I'm still a little confused and not only second guessing the day of the week, the fact that I'm in an office and not a classroom, my age, my occupation, but right now I'm actually starting to wonder, what exactly did that kid mean by "the end of days?"


Though, I guess it won't matter too much. I doubt very much anyone here at work will notice any difference between "normal Tom" and "confused by a weird dream Tom" - it's not like I do anything around here anyway.

-t

2 comments:

jayniek said...

"it's the end of days" is such an awesome line to dream.

so apocalyptically trendy.

Tom said...

well that's a hell of a word that's not a word.

"apocalyptically"

ok, maybe it's a word.
-t