Monday, September 25, 2006

"Tom Brady sucks"

That is care of Curtis, a Philadelphia Eagles fan. That's how I started my day, ten minutes ago. Curtis sits in the first desk. I walked through the door to my office, right into the middle of a football discussion. Curtis and four Patriots fans. "Tom Brady sucks, he's just an awful, awful quarterback."

If there were ever a day I wanted my iPod, it would be today. Or any other day before noon.

I walked all the way over to my desk, Curtis still within hearing range, and as I sat down I hear "So, both our teams suck, huh?" from the other side of the cubicle. That's coming from Martin, our resident Buffalo Bills fan.

I don't hate football. Mostly, though, I hate talking about football, this "Monday morning quarterbacking." Hate it.

Football doesn't have the elegance of baseball, doesn't have the strategic nuances. And, as much as I appreciate and enjoy talking about baseball, I hate doing that on Monday mornings too.

I should have my own office, so I come in, and shut my door, and work in isolation in the morning. This cubeville location doesn't work for me. I'm too close to other people.

-t

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I totally hear you on that one. My current office-mate is quiet & pleasant, but I used to have a cube in the middle of the office & HATED it!

Do you remember this post on Jenny's site above personal space in the office? http://alleyesonjenny.com/?p=558