Friday, September 08, 2006

The sky is NOT falling (apparently)

Howdy. How ya'll doin'? All worried about me losing my job because I've done abso-nothing-lutely lately? I was too.

The amount of work I actually did on a daily basis remained at a steady, flat, zero (0) for three-and-a-half weeks, consecutively.

I'm not kidding. On three of those days (last Thursday, Friday, Tuesday) the most amount of work I did was turn on my monitor. That's it. I didn't even use a password to sign in to any applications. I didn't receive any emails. Nothing.

On most of the other days I peaked at "open microsoft excel, just in case."

And, as I believe most of you are aware, I was feeling a growing dread.

In light of the copious amount of work I hadn't been doing, and the impending Day Five deadline, I felt sure the figurative ceiling would collapse in on me, burying me along with many useless reports in the ancient temple ruins like a tragic, yet heroic, adventurer and so many poisonous snakes.

I feared the repercussions of my inactivity. And here we are, on Day Five, and there are none.

NONE. I don't understand. This is no way to run a business, I can tell you that. Why even bother with deadlines (which, btw, are mandated and overseen by the federal government), if you're not going to adhere to them?

The reports are going to be late, and I haven't detected one bit of consternation related to that fact around here. Not me, not my manager, not the VP, nobody. I've been sitting here not knowing how to do anything for weeks with four hours left to do over a month's work and my manager came by and said, casually, with no inflection, "Well, these reports will be late."

AUGH!! THE CEILING! IT'S COMING DOWN!...Look ou-... No?

No.

So what's the call? Greatest level of frustration and disappointment in recent memory?


Or greatest job ever?
-t

3 comments:

mance01 said...

I am tired of these motherf-ing snakes in this motherf-ing cubicle! hahaha.

Also, my money's on frustration.

e$ said...

I, too, am waiting for the other shoe to fall. Although I've been tasked with the creation of a mailing list, so that makes for some exciting productivity.

Tom said...

every day that passes I'm more convinced there is no other shoe, that this company is barefoot, sitting on a dock, dangling its toes in the water.

which is pretty dangerous in new england in the fall and winter, because that will definitely lead to hypothermia, frostbite, and amputation.