Tuesday, September 12, 2006

"YES." he replied emphatically

"Are you going anywhere tomorrow?" my manager asked me just a few minutes ago.

He asked because he wants me to cancel my vacation time and work on this fund. This nightmare of a fund.

So this post is going to serve two purposes.
(1) To inform you, the reader, that I am heading out tomorrow AM to sunny California. I will return Tuesday, please don't expect any posts until then.

and
(2) To inform you, the reader, that under no circumstances would I have replied "No" to my managers question, knowing, as I did, what his motivation for asking was. Yes, I'm going somewhere tomorrow. I'm going Away. And not just any Away, either, I'm going to the furthest possible Away that's still within the borders of the continental united states. Los Angeles.

There is no way I want to work on this fund. I was not hired to figure this stuff out. I was hired learn this stuff. That has still not happened. In the meantime I will not give up scheduled vacation time in order to be miserable.

I care too much about getting things right, about correctness. I find that when things aren't correct, or when I am not giving 100% I get a little stressed. The stress tends to get locked up in my back and neck muscles. It's unpleasant.

Therefore, I resolve to find a new job where I can give 100%. I think I will start by posting a brand new resume on monster.com. Instead of "fund accountant, two years experience" I think I'll go with "voice talent, boston area" and see what happens.

Incidentally, do any of you have any poetry you would like me to recite at a public gathering? Wedding, wake, birthday party?

For a small fee, of course.
-tgme

P.S. Sorry, I got a little distracted in the middle of writing this post. It's incoherent, I know. If you find yourselves devoid of content this week, anticipating my return, you could try your hand at editing, or just send me a friendly email with some tips on straightening this post out.

Speaking of straightening out, I really would like to go into greater length describing the causes, symptoms, and remedies to this stress I carry, but think that that should be a whole post.

So, yes, I'm going somewhere tomorrow. I wish I were staying there.
-t

No comments: