Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Thrifty

My consumeristic urges are running rampant. I am spending, spending, spending.

But, do not be deceived, I am not spending without motivation.

I have heard that in order to modify behavior in self-improvement-oriented individuals a reward system can be implemented:

-Standing up to, instead of cowing in the face of, an overbearing boss? Have a slice of chocolate cake.

-Resisted taking that extra slice of chocolate cake after dinner? Treat yourself to a pedicure.

-Didn't splurge on that unnecessary pedicure? Go tell off your boss.

The problem with these systems, I think, can be illustrated with the dieting and chocolate cake examples:

-Didn't take an extra slice of chocolate cake after dinner? Reward yourself with an extra slice of chocolate cake.

While I have found myself in a similar self perpetuating situation before, my current situation is a little less circular:

I have two problems: A severe lack of motivation at work, and a seemingly uncontrollable impulse spending.

A wise, mature, individual would attempt to fix both at once, possibly with the reward method in a manner that might work out like this:
Accomplished something at work? Have a slice of cake!
Resisted the urge to spend, spend, spend? Have some cherry pie!
(Weight loss is not something I'm trying to accomplish)

Instead, I chose to tackle the first problem by instituting a reward system and not even consider the second problem until the first one is solved.

I assume you all know what sort of reward I've instituted for accomplishing goals at work: I get to buy myself a video game!

The result is unrestricted spending on ebay, amazon, and half.com with the added bonus that occaissonally I can justify the purchase as a reward for showing up on time to the office.

I think, for most of these problems, the best thing to do is to find a system that works for you.

-t

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's hard to establish a reinforcement program on yourself. I always give in and give myself the reward even before I've done the behavior.

i think it's better to use a buddy system or join a group.

Tom said...

Right. Assuming you actually want to stop the behavior.