Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Alarm!

The emergency lights just started flashing, the alarm just sounded. "This is an emergency alert, if this alert is followed by the evacuation signal please leave the building immediately blah blah blah handicapped blah blah"

This is exactly what a fire drill (or actual fire alarm) would sound like.

Except that there was no evacuation signal.

I'm sitting here under strobe lighting thinking there might be a fire. Which wouldn't be a big deal, right? I mean, if it was on this floor surely we'd smell the smoke, and then I wouldn't need any evacuation signal to tell me to get out, and, if it's not on this floor, then we're perefectly safe. This building is made out of concrete and steel and marble, and those things don't burn. Totally safe.

It's only half of the alarm. Light, but no sound. What do the lights mean by themselves? It's smoky?

And if there isn't a fire, then what set off the alarm? I have no idea. I could speculate (a disgruntled employee desperate for a coffee break, perhaps?) but I won't, because these lights are starting to get to me.

I'm getting a headache. FLASH flash flash flash. (3 second pause) FLASH flash flash flash. (3 second pause) FLASH...

This is probably going to trigger a seizure.

Well, make the best of it, I guess. I was going out for coffee anyway. I'll be sure to update you all if I spot any smokiness.

-t

1 comment:

mance01 said...

You guys are guinea pigs in an experiment to see how long it takes flashing lights to induce seizures.

Or they're turning your building into a nightclub and they're testing to see if they can save money on strobe lights by using pre-existing fixtures. Like fire alarms.

They're the only logical explanations.