Thursday, June 15, 2006

I don't need to work hard, once I make it I will. What's wrong with that?

I don't like reading the blogs written by successful people. I'm perfectly content spending my time thinking about all the wonderful success that awaits me "sometime in the future" I don't need to be reminded that other people have already made it.

I also don't need to be reminded that those other people have been working hard for years to get where they are.

A kid I graduated high school with was just named Director of Operations for a professional sports team - and no, not some lame professional sport where that doesn't mean anything like MLS or MLL (lacrosse) - a real professional league.

Sure, he's maybe the most diligent worker I've ever met in my life and has been so singularly focussed on establishing himself in the world of professional sports that I'm often surprised he remembers to eat every day, and he's been dedicated to this idea since he was eight, but he's twenty four years old.

Twenty-four. That's young. Think Theo Epstein. Think Dougie Howser.

Ridiculous.

And I'm sitting here thinking "Yeah, in a year and a half I'll have that sort of success too. My book will be a best seller." or "My company will be making millions." or "I'll be on my third screenplay for Paramount." or "My hit tv show will be in its second season." or "I'll be a household name."

Nevermind that in order to accomplish any of those things THE THING I NEED TO NOT BE DOING RIGHT NOW is wasting my time at a stupid job AND POSTING BLOG ENTRIES THAT HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN PROOFREAD never mind thought-out, well-planned, or edited.

If I don't actually start to do SOMETHING then that "success two years down the road" will always be two years down the road.

On the other hand I'm totally telling everyone I know that this kid just got named Director of Operations because, seriously, that kicks ass.

-t

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doogie Howser was like 12 or something. This kid has nothing on him. I'd say something about Theo Epstein but I don't know who that is and I'm too lazy to google him at this point in the day. But you get the point.

Tom said...

Theo Epstein is the youngest GM in baseball. He was thirty-two when he was hired to win a world series for Boston, which hadn't won since 1918.

He did.

Theo Epstein ranks just below God Almighty in the minds of most Red Sox fans.

Anonymous said...

Theo Epstein's dad is way cooler than he is.

Anonymous said...

1. My cousin just won an Emmy (at 27) so I feel your pain.

2. However, I don't think you should really start worrying about this stuff until you hit 30. At 30, give yourself deadlines. Until then, just live life.