Friday, April 21, 2006

t.g.i.(m.l.)f.

Thank goodness it's my last friday.

Tonight is the celebration. At the Tap. Near Bell in Hand. Near Faneuil Hall. Seven/seven-thirty-ish. Tequila shots (blech) have been promised.

At this point there is a fifty-fifty chance that I will (a) show up, tell everyone to screw, and leave; or (b) get utterly and hopelessly drunk (at which point I may tell everyone to screw anyway).

So if you want to see me tell off my coworkers you've got a better-than-even shot if you come out tonight.

In any case (Adina) it will make for a good blog post.
-t

7 comments:

mance01 said...

My money's on B. :-)

Anonymous said...

I will be showing thom and mo around philly. and when i say showing them around, i mean feeding them cheesesteaks.

Anonymous said...

What kind of New England vernacular is, "tell everyone to screw"?

Screw what?
Themselves?
Each other?
The bartender?

Tom said...

it's just like "fuck off" but you have to really sell it. lots of emphasis in the "cr" part of the word. And you have to yell. And, usually, it's accompanied by a rude gesture by the arm that isn't occupied holding a beer.

also, it's sometimes used between friends as a lightly disparaging remark

Anonymous said...

So you just tell people to "screw"?

I feel as if you need a descriptor after the verb to clarify the statement.

Donny said...

Usually when "screw" is used in this manner it's transitive and requires a direct object. Can I get a what-what from any English majors?

Tom said...

The attraction is that it's one word that serves the purpose of otherwise two-word phrases (like "fuck off" "bite me" "drop dead" etc)

The brevity allows the speaker to concentrate more on the delivery. It's one syllable, so you don't need to worry about rhythm. You're free to do what you can to make it your own. Is it understated? Is it over-the-top? It can be anything you want.

e.g.

"Hey, Donny. Screw."