Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Ordinarily

RANKINGS!


I just had a Snickers bar. Ok, it wasn’t a Snickers bar it was one of those tiny snack serving things. BUT, it got me to thinking that Snickers might be my favorite candy bar, which got me to thinking about other candy bars that might be my favorite, which got me to thinking about ranking them, and once I started thinking about ranking candy bars I started thinking about ranking other things, and then I started writing. You can tell I haven’t completed thinking about any of these things (including the writing) because right now we’re just this side of “rambly.” Or maybe we’re just that side.

Candy Bars
1. Three Musketeers
2. Snickers
3. Milky Way
4. Payday (ok, I was going to stipulate that an entry in the “candy bar” category must contain chocolate, but I really like peanuts and sugar and caramel)
5. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups (I was also going to stipulate to be considered a “candy bar” the candy must be in bar form, but… no.)

Runners-up (nobody ever gets that right): Almond Joy, Caramello, Hershey’s Milk Chocolate

Shows that were on Nickelodeon that year my parents had cable when I was a kid
1. You Can’t Do That On Television (I loved that Barf character, it’s only watching the show now (only finding one episode after months of searching the internet) do I realize exactly how gross that diner must have been – but the lockers bit is still as funny as ever)
2. The Mysterious Cities of Gold (sooner or later I’m going to devote an entire post to this show. It keeps cropping up, first in the comments, now in the blog proper…it’s making a comeback baby!)
3. Are You Afraid of the Dark? (I’ve talked to a lot of people about this. A lot of people remember this show. No one, including myself, has any recollection of any episode other than the one where the kid stole the clown’s nose at the circus and then the clown started haunting him to get it back)
4. DangerMouse/Banaman/Count Duckula (I’m putting these together because Bananaman always followed DM and Duckula was a spinoff. These three shows were all outstanding)
5. Clarissa Explains It All

Runners-up: Belle & Sebastian, The Adventures of Pete and Pete, Double Dare, Hey Dude, Salute Your Shorts, Wild & Crazy Kids (oh, Omar…), Legends of the Hidden Temple, Roundhouse, and GUTS

Disney cartoons:
1. Tailspin
2. Darkwing Duck
3.Recess

Ducktales doesn’t make the list. It was good, but I only really liked the episodes with Gizmo Duck.

Video games I’ve played
1. Tony Hawk Pro Skater (N64)
2. Goldeneye (multi-player, N64)
3. Super Mario Land (Gameboy)
4. NHL 95 (Genesis)
5. MarioKart 64 (N64)

Runners-up: Blades of Steel (NES), Contra (NES), Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)

Inventions (all-time)
1. Pockets
2. Remote Control
3. Blue hooded sweatshirts
4. Music
5. Duct tape

Runners-up: Post-It notes, French cuffs, and personal computers

Favorite Office Supplies
1. Stapler
2. Ballpoint pen
3. Ruler


That’s it for now, I’ve got to get back to work.

*UPDATE 3/23 10:15AM*
Thanks e$ and adina

PBS Shows
1. Square One
2. 3-2-1 Contact
3. Are You Being Served
4. Ghostwriter




*UPDATE 3/23 11:50AM*
I fixed all the links! There are some hidden gems in there for those of you who feel like searching.

9 comments:

mance01 said...

Just some notes on your rambly post :-p
1. Payday = rockin' good candy bar
2. For Reese's in bar form, try the Reese's Sticks....awesome. Possibly better than the cups cause they have texture.
3. Whatchamacallit. Just saying. I think it's list-worthy.
4. You can't do that on television was so disgusting. Barf jokes...blech.
5. Tailspin should totally be out on DVD. Don Karnage...woo!
6. What are French cuffs
7. You suck at MarioKart. :-p

Donny said...

Whenever my life gets me so down,
I know I can go down,
To where the music and the fun never ends,
To where the music keeps playing.
You know what I'm saying.

I know that I can find a fri-e-e-end.
Down at the Roundhouse!

I'm now realizing that the first two lines end with the same word so quite possibly I have the lyrics wrong.

Tom said...

Nno, you're right. It's an intentional double, to stress the word. (you see it again in the last line.)

Also, Sam, did you check the Tailspin link(s)?

mance01 said...

Nice :) When did you find that? Also, the episode guides are just making me want that show on DVD even worse. Air pirates are awesome.

e$ said...

no Ducktales? Congratulations - you've just created your own meme.

Anonymous said...

oh my god i was all about to say ducktales until i read e$'s comment. i loved that show. also i loved roundhouse. also i loved clarissa explains it all. i had a huge crush on sam. i also loved ghostwriter. man, those were good years (the years when i still watched TV sigh).

Anonymous said...

oh my god tom where are you?

mance01 said...

no lie...we need entertainment! :)

Anonymous said...

I still LOVE the Mysterious Cities of Gold!