Monday, March 06, 2006

Friday night: Drinking and career advice

Friday we went out after work. Some of the guys who work for our client were meeting at a bar and my manager asked if I wanted to go with him to meet up with them.

While we walked over (in minus twenty-degree wind chill) my manager joked about giving these guys a hard time about the monthly report we send to them and they always mess up.

I talked about how much I hate this job and want to leave.

He tried to talk me out of it. “There’s always turnover, in a year, year and a half, there’ll be a management position that opens up, like hypermanager’s. That’s a big bump in responsibility and salary.”

I told him I already do eighty percent of hypermanager’s work. It would only be a bump in salary. Also, after that promotion you aren’t eligible for overtime. After that promotion is also when your responsibilities require you to stay until about 7:30 every night.

I told him I’d already submitted my resume to two consulting firms and would continue to apply to new places until I got a new job.

He suggested I call the people in Dublin who work on the Ireland fund, remind them that I’m their contact here in Boston and ask them for a job.

“Spend a year in Dublin, they know you, they’ve worked with you, and nobody over there cares about their jobs, so you won’t have to work to hard to keep up.”

I was drunk by then, but it sounded like a really good idea.

Then I made the mistake of telling my family. My mom said “Take the job, we can come visit! Your brothers don’t have passports yet, this would be a great motivator.”

Then my mother called my grandmother and told her. My grandmother is very excited about the idea. She is very excited about a trip to Ireland.

Meanwhile, since the announcement that our manager is leaving I have more responsibility all of a sudden, I’m actually working more than fifty percent of the time, and working on stuff that matters.

They announced the annual raises last week too.

If I didn’t have to work with these people I work with, this wouldn’t be a bad job.

But I do. And Lurch, Pony Boy, Stupid Kid, the Oaf, Hypermanager, and The Guy That I Hate are irredeemable.

I want out.
-t

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your family is like mine in the communication network sense. I've stopped telling my mother about job opportunities / boyfriends / career changes because at the mere mention of something, it catapults across the country via interwoven family connections and conversations. Then when I speak with my grandmother or some aunt, they are shocked to learn that I am still living in DC and working as a paralegal, and not taking classes in Cali, doing consulate work in Usbekistan or hunting gazelles in Africa (hey, I've had some creative ideas in the last few years). Take my advice!! Speak nothing of your personal life or professional goals to the family!! Your sanity may depend on it.