Monday, March 06, 2006

Working Blind

Isolation.

Who’s at work? Who’s home? Is anything interesting and exciting going on right now?

I used to know. Away messages report events real-time. Not like blogs. Most of the time stories get posted at the end of the day, or a few days later, after editing.

Blog posts don’t pop up to say “Ran to the post office…back after my lunch break”

Email doesn’t keep a buddy list with people marked as away.

Phone conversations can’t be kept private.

Are there people out there? I can’t see them. I don’t know.

Isolation sucks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever stop to think that maybe you have an IM problem and that this latest restriction to your online access is really like involuntary rehab for crack addicts? Think about it.

Tom said...

I do not have an IM problem. ebay, yes. not IM.