Monday, March 13, 2006

Dublin Waves

My resume was rejected by one of the four consulting firms I’d contacted, I haven’t heard from the other three.

Meanwhile my emails to Dublin have gone unanswered.

It will be very hard to find another job if no one wants to hire me.

But, unanswered emails aside, Dublin is now the frontrunner. I won’t have to leave the company, but I’ll be able to leave the group.

I’ve caught myself thinking about what I’d do over in Dublin, the upsides and the downsides:

Downside:
Missing Major League Baseball and (real) American Football
Upside:
learn to play cricket, and have a legitimate shot of making the Irish Olympic Hockey team, assuming I can establish both Irish citizenship and an Irish Olympic Hockey Program

Downside:
leaving every single friend (and every married or engaged friend too) I’ve ever made on this continent
Upside:
get a new gang of Ireland friends

Downside:
no Yuengling
Upside:
lots of Guinness

Downside:
None of my region 1 dvds will play on European dvd players
Upside:
Danger Mouse dvds will be a lot easier to find in Ireland

Downside:
possibly missing holidays like New Year’s and Christmas
Upside:
taking Dan Goldin Day international.


-t
recommended download: Matt Nathanson, anything live

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can get an international compatable dvd player. scratch that problem off the list.

Tom said...

woo.

actually, I didn't think it would be a big deal. I'll use my laptop for my US dvds, and a cheap region 2 for the bbc dvds.

BUT OH NO, THEY HAVE DIFFERENT ELECTRICAL STANDARDS IN EUROPE!

that means adapters for quite a bit of stuff.

or it means I'll be switching back to acoustic guitar.
-t

mance01 said...

Upside: Lots of televised soccer. :)

Donny said...

Why would you want to watch BBC DVDs?

Are You Being Served?

Tom said...

are you being served and Blackadder are just a few.

they've also got lots of great cooking programs produced in the UK

Anonymous said...

heres an idea: GET THE JOB FIRST.

mance01 said...

Man....I didn't make the connection of Ireland with BBC. BBC is awesome. You can watch Graham Norton, Coupling... British C-Span! So jealous.

Anonymous said...

When I was little, I used to watch Are You Being Served? on PBS all the time with my dad. I think it was on Sunday evenings. I loved spending that time with my dad, even though I didn't get half of the jokes.