Thursday, February 09, 2006

How I spent my summer vacation

Welcome back. During my absence I received a total of nineteen comments, five emails, and three (adina) voice mails asking me to post.

So let me tell you a little story.





I started this blog over one year ago. It was facetious and mostly boring, and approximately three people read it (despite my claim of an international audience).

Sometime between now and then I have picked up new readers (hello new readers). One of these new readers is named Samatha. She has a blog, which I read, and which kept me entertained, so she got a link. After that we started conversing, via AIM, while I was at work. A special bond grew between us because, as you all should know, I have lots of free time at work, and I like talking, so, I feel a special attatchment to anyone who is willing to talk to me during my free time at work (no thanks to the rest of you jokers: John, KT, Lindsay, Felecia, Adina, Donny, etc etc etc who don't talk to me online during the day because you have to "work." Seriously.)

Anyway. Samantha and I chatted. Online. Then, later, on the phone.

Then Samantha invited me down to see her, in, that's right readers, Alabama.

And I decided to go, because why the hell wouldn't I go? I like seeing new places, I like travelling, I've also got a great plan to see all fifty state capitol buildings before I die (I'd already crossed Texas and Massachusetts off the list). Plus, you know, special bond.

So I bought myself a ticket for Alabama. And I got myself some time off work. Oh yeah, and I kept it on the down-low, because sometimes that's what I do.

Wednesday, February 1st I flew down. I spent the night before hanging out with my brother and his friends, and then he drove me to the airport. I sat in the emergency exit row and had tons of leg room.

My flight stopped over in Baltimore, MD for about half an hour, enough time to change gates, and then I settled in for the flight to Alabama, again, in an emergency exit row. It was at this point that I realized I had forgotten my cell phone charger.

I deplaned in AL, and gathered my bag from the overhead compartment. I tucked my book away in the exterior pocket along with my ipod. I made my way out to baggage claim to meet Samantha, the girl from Alabama.

There were a few people sitting by the conveyor belt, none of them looked like Samantha. I turned on my phone, and continued to scan the crowd as I waited for a signal. I called Samantha.

"Hi, this is Samantha."
"Hi, this is Tom, I just landed and I'm at baggage claim."
"Um, what."
"I'm at baggage claim, that's where you said you'd meet me, right?"
"You just got off the plane?"
"Yeah."
"In Alabama."
"Yeah."
"HAHAHAHAHAHA"
"... ... ..."
"[more laughter]"
"... ... ..."
"[voice shaking with laughter] I totally don't really live in Alabama."
"... ... What?"
"I can't believe you actually bought a plane ticket and flew to Alabama! I can't wait to tell my friends! [mean-spirited laughter], they didn't think you'd actually do it!"
"Wait. What?"
"Wow. Alright. Well, have fun in Alabama. I hear it sucks."


BLOG READERS.  I WAS DUPED.  Do you understand?! DUPED. I was cajoled into purchasing a plane ticket for Alabama, and into making plans for what we, me, and Samantha, the-girl-who-told-me-she-lived-in-Alabama-and-that-she-wanted-me-to-come-visit-her-there, would do when I got there. Including a visit to the capitol building.

I WAS IN ALABAMA. BECAUSE I FELL FOR A PRACTICAL JOKE.

So thanks for your concern. I spent a week, doing nothing, in a Holiday Inn in Alabama. It was so much fun. I got to eat at local resturants. Like McDonald's. And experience regional cultural things, like a Law and Order marathon on TNT. And call people, on my cell phone with a dead battery. And post to the blog on the laptop I didn't bring with me.

Best. Vacation. Ever. Well, I'm back now.

"Have fun in Alabama. I hear it sucks."
Great.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

If this is true then that really sucks donkey dick.

Johnny Sapphire said...

Oh my God. Oh Tom. Tomtomtomtom.

I don't know what to say. This is. This is absolutely the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

So. Alabama.

Did you make it to the capitol building?

Johnny Sapphire said...

I'm still in shock.

Tom said...

The capitol building is in Montgomery.

I was in Birmingham.

I was not paying for that cab ride.

Johnny Sapphire said...

Still shocked.

Anonymous said...

Tom.

Oh sweet merciful heaven.

You MUST be joking.

If not, I want to do mean and hateful things to this Samantha woman.

WHICH IS HER BLOG. POINT ME TOWARD HER BLOG.

My coworkers and I (who I immediately all told when I read this post) all feel for you and send our best wishes after this tragic and unfortunate incident.

Boy, what were you thinking flying to see a girl you never met? You crazy??

I think you're joking.

Donny said...

I think you're joking. I hope so, Tom. Please don't joke about this because we're all hating Samantha right now.

Anonymous said...

Holy shit. I really hope this isn't true, because oh my God, that's just heinous.

If it IS true and she really doesn't live in Alabama, her blog is an awfully elaborate work of fiction.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I have let this sit in for about 5 hours, and whether or not this story is true, "Samantha" is really the most ridiculous person on the planet. I'd very much like to hear her side of this twisted story.

Nevermind where your head was at when you decided to FLY TO ALABAMA. This is why people track IP addresses. What's the area code to her phone number? Is it an Alabama number? How could you be on the PHONE with her and PLAN a trip and then come to find out she doesn't live in Alabama? Also, if one is going to lie about one's state of residence, why in God's name pick Alabama??

The mind reels.

I'm still in shock.

Anonymous said...

TOM BEST COMEBACK POST EVER.

Tom said...

Dear Adina,

Thank you. Exactly.
Get things going with a bang.




Dear the rest of you,

It's a hoax. (duh?) Of course I wouldn't fall for a practical joke of that nature.

Though, if I did, I would have laughed and laughed and laughed, and my post would have looked a lot like this one. That is the kind of joke I could appreciate.

Seriously though, I had a wonderful time and want to go back, and don't think for a minute my desire to return has anything whatsoever to do with the actual state of Alabama or its tourist attractions.

-tom

PS, no need to hate Samantha the post was all me. ;)

Anonymous said...

Good one! I'm not correcting the story with my coworkers, tho, so you'll have to deal with them still thinking you're pitiful and an idiot. But I commend the joke played with all of us :) Glad you had a good weekend, not solo.

e$ said...

oh bite me dude, I totally believed you. I'm such a loser.