Monday, January 30, 2006

Adventure, on the high seas: Surfing with pirates

It’s possible the recording industry will figure out a way to make downloading copyrighted material impossible once-and-for-all, eventually.

But, it’s unlikely, and it’s less likely that it will happen within the next ten to fifteen years.

So. What are you going to tell your kids about downloading pirated music?

We didn’t grow up with this question. Our parents aren’t savvy enough to search and download the hottest tracks or live cuts from their favorite artists. They don’t know what “file-sharing” means, they’ve never heard of “ftp,” and they probably don’t need to download songs anyway, because they’re still struggling with the switch from vinyl to CD.

But I know these things. I can rip tracks from a CD and distribute them to millions if I so choose. I have the ability. I also have the ability to download music, or video, for free, and by so downloading, committing a crime(?).

So what do you tell your kids?

“Stealing is wrong…except the new Weezer cd, I love them, but I’m not paying twenty-bucks for twelve tracks.”

“Don’t take what doesn’t belong to you…but it’s ok if someone else took it and then let you have it for free.”

“Shoplifting is a crime…but you can sit here at the computer in the study and take whatever you want.”

Hypocrisy. This is worse than “Do as I say, not as I do,” because I’m not really sure I’d say “don’t download.”

What is right and what is wrong? I can’t even commit in writing to which side of the argument I believe in. But I have no trouble acting on the unvoiced beliefs.

Quite the dilemma.
-t

18 comments:

Donny said...

We'll probably sound like our parents sounded when they told us not to try drugs.

Tom said...

Are you implying drugs are an "ok" illegal activity for us, and therefore downloading will be "ok" for our kids?

If so I disagree, drugs aren't ok.

Or, are you suggesting your parents were peace-loving hippies who lived in communes and smoked dope for a decade, and therefore sound hypocritical when they tell you not to try drugs?

If so, then we're in different boats, my parents aren't hippie hypocrites.

Anonymous said...

my god post something else tom. donny posted more than you this week.

Anonymous said...

I sent Tom an email yesterday and this is his reply:

I will be out of the office begining Wednesday February 1st through Wednesday February 8th. If you need assistance please contact Unpretty Girl at hippie@mutualfunds.com or The Stupid Kid at tsk@mutualfunds.com.

Who can guess where Tom is?

Donny said...

Why would he leave work for a few days? What if he took a surprise trip to one of our houses? I would think he would have arrived at Felecia's by now. But, Adina, he may be waiting for you when you get home tonight.

Anonymous said...

oh my god i know where tom is and where he went.

Anonymous said...

me too. haha

Anonymous said...

donny totally tried to find out from me and i wouldn't tell him. i told him other gossip, but he didn't care he had ears only for where tom was.

silly donny.

Anonymous said...

Where in the World is Tom [insert last name here]? I know too!!!!

Do we will a prize? Like those stupid kids on Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

If so, I totally want the family vacation to the Poconos. Because everyone could use a damily trip to a town famous for having heart shaped hottubs amongst wildlife in the middle of East Asshole, PA.

Donny said...

That really hurts. Not only do you all tease me about not knowing where Tom is, but then, to add insult to injury, you make fun of the Poconos.

All you have to bring,
Is your love of everything.
Beau-ti-ful Mount Airy Lodge.

Johnny Sapphire said...

Is nobody else seriously concerned that Tom might be lying comatose and smothered in barbeque sauce in a ditch in Alabama?

Anonymous said...

no i'm not concerned at all.

Donny said...

Alabama? What's he doing in Alabama? Why is the Milwaukeean always the last one to know!?!

Anonymous said...

A comment for Tom when he returns:

Tom, this was a funny and clever post. I really only began to appreciate it after having to look at it for like a week now, but since my comments are usually mean and rude, I figured I could manage a nice one here and there. I mostly enjoyed your quotes on what to tell the kids. Well done.

Johnny Sapphire said...

Dude. He's in Alabama to meet that girl. Remember?

Johnny Sapphire said...

Oh wait, are we not telling people that?

Donny said...

John,
Adina wouldn't tell me. She's mean. I see no reason why Tom would not tell me. Alabama? Are you serious?

Anonymous said...

way to blow tom's cover johnny.

donny grilled me a few days ago for this info but tom told me specifically not to tell anyone so i bit my tongue.

i was planning on spilling the beans tonight, when donny comes into FUN-ADELPHIA and we drink YUENGLING.