Friday, January 27, 2006

Web log 2.0?

This site needs a redesign. I mean, this site really needs a redesign.

There are a lot of nice looking webpages out there, and this isn’t one of them. And, while I’d like to think people come to read the content, I’m just not seeing the traffic I’d like.

So, rather than focusing on revamping the writing, which I’ll do, sure, I think I need to start focusing on revamping the look.

Pictures, for one. This space needs some pictures. Big ones. Of me. Honestly, what else would you want to see here? Me me me me me. And maybe some nice pictures of office supplies, cute puppies, and icebergs.

Colors! But not too many. Colors to highlight. You can’t read black text on colored backgrounds without causing a brain aneurysm (espn.com Page 2), so that’s out. Black on white, black on shades of grey, or white on black. Really the only way to go. Also, sometimes orange on black.

No pink. No fuscia.

New sections. Some on the right, some on the left. Some at the end of the page.

Archives, maybe, searchable archives, listed by title  or subject instead of date.

I figure I’ll need about four days of uninterrupted time to figure this all out.
Unfortunately I don’t have four days of uninterrupted time available, and would probably get fired if I asked for a leave of absence to update my blog.

HA.

Maybe instead of redesigning the webpage I can start designing a time machine, travel back to freshman year of college, and convince my seventeen year old self to study web design from the start, instead of math.

I love math, but not the way a math major should love math, and let me tell you, that is no way for a regular person to love math.

Because the only design I know is html, and barely that. Maybe it’s a good thing. If I knew other languages, I’d be saying intolerable things like “I’m designing the new site in Java – javajavajavajavajavajava.”

Web design. Maybe I’ll buy a book.

And then rent server space.

And then try and learn something.

And then write it. And test it.

And then quit my job and become a starving web artist and move to Bohemia. (That’s a real place, right?)

Here’s hoping.
-t


3 comments:

e$ said...

i only know html too, and while my website is not the most visually stunning, I like it ok! The key is finding a good template, then messing with it until you just can't deal anymore.

Anonymous said...

maybe you should just write posts that don't revolve around the comic sans, the type font.

i'm just saying tom. you posted about comic sans. you linked a website which gave you the history of comic sans. don't get me wrong, i read it and i am now a better person because of it, but seriously.

Anonymous said...

a-men adina