Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Covertly sneaking out the back...

Yesterday afternoon hypermanager came over to my desk with a stack of variance reports. He asked me to stay late so he could show me how to read the reports and then how to correct the discrepancies.

As he stood there at my desk he started pointing items out.
“This is off exactly the same amount as this, but in the opposite direction, so we just move this money over here and it will balance… Same thing here, and here. Ok, now, don’t worry about this stuff up here, they don’t offset and I already know what’s wrong with that, it will only confuse you.”

Next page of the report.

“Ok, don’t worry about that either, that will confuse you too.”

Next page. Same deal.

Turns out hypermanager thinks I would only understand that first entry, ok, fine. I’m not really looking to learn anything else at this point, because I hate it here, so if he thinks it’s confusing and doesn’t want to explain it, that is ok by me.

End of the night rolls around. I discover a mistake on one of my funds, it delays the end of night email by ten minutes, which was ok, because we were actually a little ahead of schedule.

The mistake took ten minutes to fix and people seemed to be rushing around, plus I didn’t want to be here, and I decided I didn’t want to stay late and watch hypermanager explain an entry he made into the system and then not explain the eight other entries he was about to make.

So I left.

I felt like a bad employee. I didn’t care. This is the long, slow spiral into oblivion. It is a slippery spiral slope. I need to get out before there is no escape.

Be careful, readers. I don’t want to pull you in with me. Run. Be free. Someone needs to be happy and productive at work. (PS, if you are a happy and productive person at work, are you hiring?)

-t

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is definitely one of the major steps to leaving your first job-trying to get fired. Next you'll be praying you get into an accident because you'd rather be in the hospital than go to work. I bet you'll be gone in one month. Hopefully less.

Anonymous said...

not me. i think you'll be there FOREVER (insert echo and evil laugh here).