Thursday, January 19, 2006

Under the bus

Last week I overheard a conversation the stupid kid was having with the AVP and I can’t remember if I wrote about it. So I’m writing about it now.

There are some here, in management, who frown on employee use of instant messenger and the internet. Some feel that the resources of the world wide web should be used for business purposes and only business purposes. Our AVP has adopted this as a personal crusade. He is out to catch you online, and put a stop to it. No more reading the fantasy football reviews on espn.com. No more cruising blogs. And heaven help you if an IM window should pop open when he is within fifty feet of your desk.

He was the first to catch me online, way back in the day (I’d left my computer on and unlocked one day at lunch with AIM still running). He came down pretty hard on hypermanager, who in turn came down pretty hard on me (prompting this post).

Since then I’ve been super covert with my internet usage…ok, not super covert, but I remember to lock my computer when I leave my desk. I haven’t heard anything about too much time online though, because management has had their hands full with stupid kid.

He’s online all day. News sites mostly, also AIM (though I think his buddy list is as empty as his “friends” group on thefacebook). Hypermanager and AVP have both commented, numerous times, about the lack of attention he pays to his funds and the copious amount of time he spends online.

Last week, just before the move, I overheard the AVP talking to the stupid kid. AVP had circumspectly brought up internet usage and its detrimental effect on the detail-oriented work we do here. The AVP then not-so-subtly suggested that the stupid kid knock that shit off and pay attention to his job instead of wasting time online.

And the stupid kid responded conversationally by telling the AVP that he’s seen me online all the time, “Some people use instant messenger all day long. Tom does it.”

What the hell?

First of all, the AVP knows it. He’s already caught me, and every once-in-a-while casually mentions excessive time online: “Hey, some groups think it’s ok, but that’s just not how I feel. That’s not how I interpret the corporate policy. I don’t want my group run that way.”

But that’s as far as it goes. He knows it’s my decision, and I know if it ever interferes with my work I’ll be shown the door. We’ve reached that understanding.

The stupid kid tries to throw me to the lions? Hey, I don’t like him, and he knows it, but that’s not an honorable move. Underhanded.

Exercising personal vendettas by proxy? It’s not how things are done. I hate him.

-t

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I'm the first to post a comment to this story. I'm completely apalled at what stupid kid has done! I can only imagine how your stomach and jaw dropped upon overhearing his comment. I would resist the urge to slug the kid (this would require lots of resistance) and somehow contemplate mature and effective ways to handle the situation personally with SK. Do you have discreet means of acquiring arsenic? Just kidding. Seriously, I'm completely shocked that SK would do that, but I guess not surprised, since he is, in fact, stupid kid. In the long run, his accusatory and deflective approach at avoiding blame and negative attention in the office will not earn him any bonus points or high esteem with management. The argument that you get your work done and get it done well is a persuasive one, although the inclusion of a specific entry regarding instant messenger use in the computer policy leaves little room for argument. Still, SK totally sucks and I can't believe this story didn't immediately make it into the blog, because its a good one. Seriously, I would have died. What is your game plan??

Tom said...

my game plan is to ignore him. his incompetence will either get him fired or recruited by a high-paying competitor. either way I won't have to work with him anymore.

also, I assume you're trying to save keystrokes by abbreviating, but to give the stupid kid initials raises him up to a level he should not be at, so just for clarification's sake "the stupid kid" is correct "sk" and "stupid kid" are not. It would, however, be acceptable for carpal-tunnel-minded commentors to use TSK if they so chose.

Patience. That is the key. Also pretending he doesn't exist.