Wednesday, January 04, 2006

And I'm not paying two bits for a shave, either

Hey. I came in here for a haircut, ok? I did not pay twenty-five dollars for “styling” or “a trim.” Cut means cut, alright?

I want to see scissors out and flashing. I want to hear the snip-snip-snip of those sharpened shears. Take out that spray bottle and start spritzing.

When I say “I want it shorter” that’s what I mean: shorter. I’m not sitting in this chair wearing a ridiculous backwards cape so you can see exactly how close you can get to my hair without actually touching it.

I want a hair cut. I don’t want an eighth of an inch here, a sixteenth of an inch there. Stop using fractions! Take the whole inch, take two inches if it’s that long.

Because let me tell you, if my hair’s long enough that it can lose two inches? it is Way. Too. Long.

So get cutting. And don’t look all confused at me in the mirror when I say “a little more off the sides and back, and shorter on the top and front.”

This is what I’m paying for, lady.

To be honest, I have never been really happy with a haircut received from a woman “stylist” or “hair care professional” or “barber” or whatever. Where’s the men at? At least with a guy you get some precision, some action.

“You want short? How short? Real short, or straight-edge?... Real short? OK, done.”

And then, bam. He grabs your hair and just starts whaling on it. Hacking til it’s down to a fingerwidth of your scalp. None of this “We’ll take a little off the top, then a little off the sides, and see how it lays…then a little more off the top to see if it complements your face, then a little more off the sides…are you sure you want it that short? Maybe we just leave it like this, ok?”

NO. Not ok. I said short because I know my hair looks good short. And because I know it’s starting to look ridiculous now. I do not want you to take a micrometer off of every strand of hair, one-at-a-time, and then have to pay another thirty bucks to have you do it again next week because it’s too long again.

Here’s your money, see you in two months. Three if I get lazy.

That’s not to say every haircut I’ve received from a guy has gone well.

Case in point: I was duped into going to a “nice” hair salon (by none other than Johnny Sapphire) where instead of cutting my hair the “stylist” basically dumped a jar of goo on my head, mussed it around and charged me fifty bucks. Not only was my hair still too long and unstyled but the very next person I asked told me that “No, your hair doesn’t look bad, what were you, swimming?.” Jackass.

Which brings me to my next point. What is with the freaking hair products?!?!”

When you, hair-cutter, ask “Do you use any product in your hair?” and get “No” as an answer do not take it upon yourself to unilaterally decide that, “Yes, I think “product” is a good decision and should be applied very liberally to your entire head!”

It is not a good decision. I don’t like it. And what the hell are you using in that salon, instant concrete?! First of all, two handfuls of anything is too much of it, and when you’ve just, (according to my wishes) (even though they go against every unnatural instinct you’ve had forced into you in “styling school”) begrudgingly, cut my hair to within an inch and a half of its life those two handfuls of “product” will last me until next December, and should not be glopped onto my head!

I do not like my hair to crackle. I am not a statue of marble or steel. I would like my hair to, you know, move if there’s a breeze. Hair is supposed to get messed up if there’s a gust of wind, not whistle.

GAH.

All I’m looking for is a person with a pair of scissors and a comb that I don’t have to go seventeen rounds with to get my hair cut. It’s not difficult, it’s not tricky, just make it shorter!

And I’ll be back in a couple months.
-t    

14 comments:

Donny said...

It's always been my experience that the best barbers are the ones who learned their trade while in prison.

My favorite soundbyte from this post was, "At least with a guy you get... some action."

Anonymous said...

I'll cut your hair.

Tom said...

I'll cut your hair. It'll be like a barter economy. Then we can take the hair clippings and trade them to the local cheese merchant for a wheel of cheddar, and then use half that wheel of cheese to trade for a chicken, and then use the chicken eggs to trade for something useful, like an xbox 360 maybe.

good plan, good plan.

Anonymous said...

dude. BUY CLIPPERS. cut your own damn hair for FREE.

Tom said...

oh yeah. that would look great. if I were just buzzing it all off that wouldn't be a problem. but come on. I've had haircuts that make me look good. none of them were self-administered.

Anonymous said...

i know i'm really late with this comment and there is a possibility that you will respond and i won't read it. i also know that i didn't really read the post, just saw it was about cutting hair and cut straight to the comments. regardless, i have been cutting dan's hair for almost a year now, or longer, ever since the mullet incident. it looks good. its short. come to philadelphia. we can watch gilmore girls seasons 1 through 5 and i will cut your hair.

Tom said...

Dan's hair does look good. I think Philly is on the list of places I'm going to go (hopefully this year)

also on the list are Vegas, Washington D.C., Minneapolis, and San Fransisco. For no reason whatsoever (except san fran, that's maybe to possibly run into mightygirl)

Anonymous said...

This is not a tradeoff. I cut your hair.

I keep my hair. My hair costs every penny I pay to have it cut which, trust me, is WELL over $50.

Donny said...

If you go to Minneapolis, can I meet you there? I've been meaning to go myself. My AAA book just gave the highlights of a trip there and it looks good.

And I'm going to Washington D.C. in a few weeks. Huzzah.

Anonymous said...

what does your hair look like with all of this "product?" I'd like to see this $50 haircut.

Tom said...

lindsay's haircut is $50, not mine. And my hair looks like it normally would, it just doesn't move. It took me half an hour to wash all that crap out last night. That is just ridiculous.

-t

Anonymous said...

Tom, well when you come, I will cut your hair. I sometimes think about our tenative Gilmore Girl Week plans and a perfect title.

Something like: "7 Days of Glorious Gilmore Girl Fun" or "The One Where Tom Drives to Philadelphia and Stays for a Week to Watch Gilmore Girls with Adina".

I admit, they are working titles.

Tom said...

they are working titles, to be sure.

fyi, Friends episodes are named "The One with..." not gilmore episodes. If you're going to go that route, def. look up some gilmore episode names and start thinking along those lines.

how about a rhyme?
"something, something, rhymes with feet -
gilmore girls just can't be beat!"

hilarious.

Anonymous said...

My haircuts cost WAY more than $50.