Wednesday, December 21, 2005

So, I don't get it...can they hear the baby?

Now, I am not, generally, a phone guy. I’m on a cell phone plan that gives me two hundred minutes a month. I never, ever use all my minutes – I never even come close.

I pay a ridiculous amount of money for the plan though, and I do it happily. I feel like I’m not paying for the minutes I use, but for the technological advance of the cell phone itself.

Because I pay so much money it is possible for me to call anyone I know, at anytime, from anywhere, (even inside buildings with thick concrete walls, and the middle of nowhere, because I have Nextel, and Nextel rocks). I could, if I so desired, order a pizza, from anywhere, to be delivered to anywhere, at anytime that a pizza place would conceivably be open.

When I’m listening to a song in the car and the lyrics remind me of a guy on a show I’d seen one time who was in a movie with that other guy what’s his name… I can call anyone who might know, at a moment’s notice and spend thirty seconds on the phone to ask someone.

Actually, I usually don’t spend more than thirty seconds on the phone at a time, which is why Nextel’s Direct Connect feature rocks. You don’t even have to dial.

Chirp! “Hey, who’s that guy from that movie that we almost rented last weekend?” Chirp. “The lead? Or the bad guy?” Chirp! “The bad guy” Chirp. “Right, it was Vinnie Jones, he was in Snatch.”

It’s not because I’m bad on the phone, it’s because, to me, the phone is more about instant communication, instant access. I don’t usually converse via cell.

So, I recognize that as a deficiency. I should at least have the ability to be a phone guy. I don’t want to cut conversation short or hang up prematurely on someone who does want to talk.

So I’ll be practicing.
-t

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Practice makes perfect :)