Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Gift horse

“The idea of gift giving is silly,” he said, and I paused, surprised, expecting some philosophical condemnation of capitalist consumerism.

“If you really want people to be happy you should just give them money,” he finished, “because then they can go out and buy whatever they want.”

“And then you don’t have to agonize over ‘augh, now I have to wear this, or use this,’ with something you didn’t want anyway,” she agreed.

Call me old fashioned, but money given doesn’t spend as well as money earned. I don’t want your twenty-five dollars tucked in a Christmas card because you’re too lazy or to uncaring to try and give something that means a little. Money won’t ever make me feel joy.

And if you are compelled to participate in an office holiday gift swap, do not belittle the Bible that you received. It may be that God is particularly active in someone’s life, someone you work with, and they are trying to encourage a similar level of spirituality in your life.

And when that coworker senses the gift had not gone over well tells a story, in broken English about a movie he once saw to serve as a parable, listen. A father and a son had a falling out over, of all things, the father’s expensive automobile. The son left home, only to be called back many years later by a dying father wishing to make amends. When the son arrives home he learns his father is dead and the only thing bequeathed to him was a small pocket Bible. The son disgustedly throws the Bible away. Later, the Bible is found, and in its pages the reader discovers the old father’s will, leaving everything to the son, and the key to the automobile.

Scoffing at any gift is rude. Scoffing at the gift and then loudly proclaiming that cash is what would make you happy is worse. It may just be that the Bible ended up where it can do the most good.

-tgme

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post. Good story. Did that actually happen? Someone gave a Bible at the holiday gift swap, and the recipient made that comment? Ugh. Tacky. You can at least pretend.

But, like, was there money in the Bible, or keys to a new car? Cuz that would have been wicked cool.

e$ said...

huhm, yeah. I agree about the "money isn't that exciting of a gift" ... unless it's a *LOT* of money ... but last christmas i went to a swap with my friends, and the gift I gave was so shitty I wound up swapping it back to myself, so that nobody else would have to clutter their house with such random nonsense.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree that you should keep your mouth shut at the moment and, if you must bitch, do it at a later time away from the gift giver.

That said, I would've been uncomfortable receiving a Bible in a gift exchange (that wasn't at a church, Bible study, or otherwise religiously-inclined event). My beliefs are, to me, very private and I really don't want to discuss them or change them, and I would be decidedly "put off" by someone trying to effectively tell me what they think is the correct thing to believe.

I'd still keep my mouth shut and smile and say thanks. But I guess I just think that a gift exchange isn't particularly the place to try tell people about what you believe in. It's a big assumption that the person receiving it would appreciate it and not be offended.

Anonymous said...

Gah! I can't believe someone would loudly complain about a GIFT. I can't imagine...if you don't like it, smile, graciously say "thank you," and seethe inwardly, if you must.
I've been reading your posts for a while, and I enjoy your writing style! Maybe the book deal isn't too far away :)

Tom said...

dear anon,

The Bible wasn't an attempt at conversion or preaching, it was given by a faith-filled member of the group who wanted to share the good news. "This has had a positive impact in my life, perhaps it will in yours." sort of thing.

I think it would be like a weird aunt trying to give you a book by Dr Phil that "saved her marriage" or "changed her life" not entirely appropriate, certainly not solicited, but a gift is a gift none-the-less. With a crazy aunt you would probably grin and bear it.

Also, I don't think you should bitch about the gift at all. You know, "If you don't have anything nice to say, shut the hell up."

And, in the case of the stupid kid "Shut the hell up and stop being so stupid because you've got a job a trained monkey could do and you're doing it worse than that than chimp would - because you're a moron."

Anyway, sure it was tacky, and no there wasn't any money or car keys in it, but I don't think being a dick is ever appropriate.