Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Overtime Overkill

So it’s month end here in mutual fund land. Budgets are due. You may remember a few posts about expenses booked incorrectly, and, subsequently, yours truly spending an entire evening reposting, by hand, eighty billion expense posts.

So Monday I was running around trying to straighten out rates, and bad trades. Monday night I was here until 9:30PM rebooking expenses. Today they handed out budget schedules, I have a budget due today by 6PM. I was running around fixing trades and accrual schedules on funds, verifying late exchange rates, and reviewing the Ireland fund for discrepancies. The budget didn’t get done.

So, now it’s six o’clock, I turn on my iPod and shut down everything but the budget, so I can hand it in before nine tomorrow morning. My manager, the one who asked me to stay last night for expenses walks up to my cube, glances at the budget on my computer, and the sheaf of back up printouts scattered all over my desk, and says “Wasn’t that due today?”

I’m going to let you readers be horrified and indignant for me. I don’t have the time right now.
-t

No comments: