Monday, August 29, 2005

Book Update!

Ok, so you all may not care a bit about what I'm reading. Tough.

I finished A Storm of Swords, the third in George R. R. Martin's series "A Song of Fire and Ice" and it was amazing and I'm pissed the fourth book won't be in paperback for another two years nevermind the fifth book which probably hasn't even been written yet, because dammit I want to finish the story.

I finished Heretics of Dune, which follows the most boring book of the Dune Chronicles: God Emperor of Dune. Heretics was superb, accelerated pacing, concise storytelling, reinvigorating the series. Now, I'm reading the next (and last) book, Chapterhouse: Dune. So far it's living up to my expectations.

[aside: I'm not going to review these books, it's really more of a list to help sort things out in my own mind...on the other hand, I wouldn't say no to a review, if it were desired...but that's up to you all]

I have not finished Asimov's Foundation novels. Because they are quite dull compared to the stuff I've been reading recently. They aren't bad, cornerstone of science fiction and all that, and I have no doubt the end of the series (two and a half books away) will be interesting, so I can look forward to that whenever it is I find myself without more interesting options.

I also read a detective novel by Lawrence Block (of the "Burglar" series of books) and it was phenomenal. Eight Million Ways To Die is a detective novel in the American tradition whose main character is a recovering alcoholic. This narration adds dimension and humanity to the story, providing a new look at this genre. Kudos to Block.

Next on the list is either more of the Foundation series or possibly book one in the Wheel of Time series. Unless I stumble upon something else before that.

happy reading,
-tgme

recommended downloads:
Bowling For Soup, Self-Centered
Finch, Letters To You
Everclear, Amphetamine

No comments: