Thursday, July 14, 2005

A thin line between...

So parts of the brain work together to perform complex tasks. Giving directions for example, just to start you've got memory, planning, timing, and speech, plus other stuff. Holding conversations is another one, you've got to talk, listen, think about what you're saying, remember what the other person is saying, and then when the other person is a hot coed you've got the added pressure of not only talking, but making sense and being funny. It can get complicated.

I bring it up because I'm pretty sure there is only a thin line holding the different parts of my brain together. Just a string, looping the temporal lobe to the speech center to impulse control and what have you. I'd guess this has always been the case, though I've only just recognized some symptoms: I don't hold what you would call "normal" conversations.

I'd guess it's the speech center and impulse control mostly, paired with a very influencial imagination. I get to talking, and that part of the brain that's supposed to monitor what's going on (the concious part) sort of shuts down, or takes some time off, and I just keep talking.

No doubt these conversations are entertaining, they are certainly long-winded, they are almost never coherent, factual, and nearly always irrelevant. I'm not even aware of what's being said as it's being said, but maybe there is a little bit of my brain paying attention, because every so often I reach back into the conversation and draw a parallel, or a bad pun, or a reference to something I said fifteen uninterrupted minutes ago.

This inattention may be compounded when talking online, especially through AIM. I'm pretty sure the muscle memory of my fingers just form words and sentences on their own bypassing the brain completely, and really that doesn't bother me as long as the words are spelled correctly.

So here's to taking a little brain vacation whenever possible. Cheers.
-Tom
recommended downloads:
The Old 97's, Melt Show

and
Cake, Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

speaking of spelling things correctly, is my username on the sidebar supposed to look like that?