Monday, June 20, 2005

So, I've got nothing to do.

I've got nothing to do. And when I have nothing to do, I post. (You may recall last week's four-post thursday.)

I'm going to get my hair cut very soon ADINA ARE YOU READING THIS? very soon I say. I am keeping it long, but instead of leaving it as is (ridiculously unmanageable) I will be taking it in a new direction (manageable and cool-looking). I hope all of you can turn out for the glorious result. Appt. with hair-care professional tbd.

In related news, if I don't like the new haircut I will be cutting all of it off, a la sophmore year of college, when, if any of you recall, I looked ridiculous. That's right, I'll be going from one extreme to the other. On the other hand, my cranium is perfectly round, so maybe it won't be such a bad look. (Yeah, it will. Somebody please talk me out of this before it happens, thank you.)

In unrelated news, thanks to the three commentors who commented on my car decision. With GMC's new promotion the crew-cab 4wd I was looking at is only like 20K. Which is cheaper than the 29K Grand Cherokee. So, new argument. Crew-cab or Extended cab? and why?

In even more unrelated news: I've always considered myself different from the general populace. In high school I thought I was higher up the social/intellectual/existential pyramid than everyone else. In college I finally found people who were on the same step I was (and a few a step or two higher, you'd know who you are if you're modesty and humility weren't preventing it). Now, post college, I am begining to think I am vastly different from everyone else on the planet, and a small piece of me wonders if that makes me harder to relate to, and consequently, get to know better, and consequently befriend or, bemorethanfriend. Imagine a situation where everyone is a car. Coupes, sedans, trucks, convertibles, etc. Four wheels, headlights, steering wheel. Then, along rolls a motorcycle. It's got a motor, it's got wheels, it's aparent that it is a means of transportation, but very very different from the norm. I'm not saying people who drive cars can't learn to drive a motorcycle, I hope they can. I'm saying, it would be very easy for someone familiar with cars, even if they were only familiar with one certain type of car, to move to another car and drive it easily, adapt, and get to know a different car. Easy. I'm saying it's probably not so easy for that car person to adapt to an unknown, unfamiliar moving vehicle. Would some be hesitant to ride the bike if there were a perfectly ordinary car sitting right next to it, something they know and are familiar with? and what if the bike needed a haircut?

-Tom
recommended download
The Old 97's, Let The Idiot Speak

7 comments:

LoneStarCupcake said...

in re: crew v. extended - depends on whether you have passengers regularly or not. crew is obviously easier to get in and out of (and offers more room for hauling things out of the elements), however it also makes the truck that much longer and harder to park.

Whats the parking like where you live? Street parking? Are the parking places pretty generous? On your way home today look around at places you might park and see whether there are other trucks and how well they fit.

LoneStarCupcake said...

as for the rest of it? depends on if the bike is a crotch rocket or an easy rider. and whether said hair looked okay after helmet head. and what about the bugs in the teeth. wait, what are we talking about?

Tom said...

wow. ok. thanks for the grown-up advice. I really was looking more for "crew-cab's are stupid" or something.

LoneStarCupcake said...

wow. just call me old then.

uhm how bout "you can't really make out in the back of a crew cab"

Anonymous said...

Tom, it's difficult to take your proclamation of superiority seriously when you're still using the wrong form of your/you're.

Also, trucks are stupid. REALLY stupid. You do not haul stuff on a regular basis. You are sentencing yourself to a decade of being the guy everyone calls to help them move.

Also, they're stupid. Especially in BOSTON, where you will slip and slide on ice and snow like a penguin on crack because there is no weight in the back of your vehicle.

mance01 said...

But if you buy a stupid truck, get an extended cab. because if it's raining and you need groceries, you'll be glad you have it. Also, camper shell thingies are not a solution to this problem. they are the root of ugly-truck evil. extended cab. 'nuff said.

Anonymous said...

all that talk about motorcycles -- are you talking about ray?

anyway, i am really glad you are getting your hair cut. so glad that maybe i'll come visit sometime soon to see it. maybe i'll bring my electric clippers and do it myself.

you never know with me. i'm spontaneous.