Thursday, June 16, 2005

Kiss

Dear new people who are reading my blog, Where did you come from? How did you find me? Sincerely, Tom


Down to business.
I've just handed in the last budget due for this month, and, for today at least, have a light work load. Soon they will be redistributing funds, changing assignments, and mixing it up, so I may end up with something more difficult, or more time consuming. I look forward to that day.

In the meantime I will be doing all those things that I've been doing to kill time since I got here, like doodle, take long lunches, zone out, and post entries here about coworkers.

Books seem to have taken over our recent conversations. Jonathan has begun reading one of the Star Wars books, and, to his chagrin, he is enjoying it. Mike, Jonathan's manager, is reading an off-the-shelf crime novel since he's run out of Grisham books. The rest of that cash group is eagerly awaiting the release of the next Harry Potter (and the half-blood prince). I continue my foray into science fiction, having purchased last night Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation, and Foundation's Edge. I also got the next two books in the Dune series, Children of Dune, and God Emperor of Dune. Lastly, I purchased a Lawrence Block crime novel, and a Raymond Chandler novel, The High Window. I look forward to reading them all.

Very soon I will be visiting the movie theater, I believe first on my list of summer-blockbuster-movies-to-see is Batman Begins. Lords of Dogtown is still high on the list, and I recommend watching the documentary also ("Dogtown and Z-boys"). The rest of the list are those films that I'd like to see but probably won't get around to seeing; films like Cinderella Man, and Kingdom of Heaven.

Now, back to not working.

Love,
Tom

recommended downloads:
Brian Webb, Martha
No Use For A Name, Beth (KISS cover)

9 comments:

Stephermay said...

dear tom,

i am a new person reading your blog. after seeing posts about people freaking out about having their blogs read with no comments left, i decided to leave you one. i found you through kate's blog.

batman returns kicked some SERIOUS ass. saw it last night. best of any batman move ever made, without question.

have a nice day!

-s

Tom said...

batman returns, eh? sure. ;)

Anonymous said...

everyone at my company is getting a free copy of the new harry potter book the day it comes out. that's because we publish it. (not "we" as in my office, but "we" as in the global corporate publishing entity that owns my office.) when i got the email about it this morning i was really happy and decided not to complain about work for a full 24 hours.

LoneStarCupcake said...

Hi - not sure actually.. but here's how I think it happened. a long time ago I left a comment on someone elses blog (aunt purl?) and someone (golightly or twisted panties) saw my comment and surfed over to visit my blog... and left me a comment. so then i saw their comment and read their blog who linked to midwest grrrl. so i read her blog.. and either i saw your comment or she linked you .. not sure.. but either way. here i am. and now i'm stalking several of your friends.

i seriously need a new job that challenges me. either that or to get over the guilt i have for the sheer quantity of web-surfing i do during a days' work.

LoneStarCupcake said...

surely i don't have to say it, but when i say stalking, i mean reading their blogs. but maybe i should say it cuz that whole diatribe sounded slightly creepy.

i'm not creepy, honest.

Tom said...

you know...if you have to say you're not creepy, that usually means...you are creepy.

just kidding. thanks for reading. BAM!

Stephermay said...

i meant batman begins. ick. i can't believe i said that about "returns". that one sucked...

i'm a geek.

Tom said...

whoa, hey, go easy on yourself. you're not a geek.

also, batman returns was awesome (yes, clearly not as awesome as the first two, and joel shoemaker [intentional misspelling] should never be allowed to work in film solely on the basis of what he did to gotham city and further upon the basis of what he, george clooney, and the govenator did to the batman franchise)I mean, nicole kidman is a goddess, plus how can you not like val kilmer? plus, jim carrey as the riddler was brilliant. tommy lee jones as distrcit attorney turn two-face was a mistake, especially since it was billy dee williams who played the role of harvey dent in Burton's Batman, maybe they just thought, "hey, they both have three names, who'll notice?" well I noticed. billy dee williams, of star wars fame ("fame?") is, of course, black. tommy lee jones (you may have seen him in one of his movies that didn't suck, like the fugitive) is not.

anyway. kilmer, kidman, carrey, all great. but this one, well, this one I hear is phenomenal (even though, yes, katie holmes is the girl).

-tom

p.s. liam is the greatest actor of his generation.

Stephermay said...

amen to liam neeson. he's a sexy beast, and that irish brogue gets me every time... oh, and he's a damn fine actor.