Monday, June 20, 2005

A Good Night's Sleep

Space! I'm tired. I haven't been getting enough sleep. I don't have anyone to blame but myself; and I do blame myself. It's entirely my fault.

My intentions are good. In bed by midnight, sleep until eight. That's a solid eight hours. The late bedtime allows watching of late night television, like the daily show, or the simpsons, or sportscenter, or whatever. The late wake-up call of the alarm still gives enough time to shower, dress, eat, and get to the T on time.

But I still don't get eight hours of sleep.

See, I like to read. Also, I like music. These are the things that suffer wakefulness. Almost every night I retire with a book to read. Almost every night I have my iPod with me. I read and listen to music hours past midnight, usually drifting off near two. It happens all the time.

So, last night, I decided to try something new. I went to bed at ten-thirty. I took with me my book and my iPod. I read and listened to music for about two hours. The plan was to drift off after this nightly read. But no. Instead, I stayed up another hour or two and continued to read.

So, is sacrificing sleep really worth a few more pages? I'd say yes. I'm a big fan of reading.
This just means I'll have to start working on a way to sneak a nap in at work.

-Tom
recommended download:
The Old 97's, Am I Too Late, and Designs On You

No comments: