Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Threats and promises

To start, the promise: My manager yesterday said he would order me a name plate. Super. First, nameplates are a sign that I am a real member of the group, that they've accepted me, that they don't have any plans in the immediate future to fire me. Second, nameplates suck, because that's how everyone else on the floor finds you. Wander around looking for the guy who works on your fund because you have a situation he needs to deal with, him having a nameplate makes it much easier for you to say "here, it's your problem."

To finish, the threat: Today a friend of mine received an email. It is only a matter of time before this email is sent to everybody, including yours truly. The email bans Instant Messaging in all forms and reminds employees of the stringent personal-use-of-internet "guidelines" (like "NO BLOGS!!!), and I quote "Any unauthorized use of Instant Messenger Services during business hours will be considered a violation of the aforementioned policies and will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action." I, of course, have no intention of giving up either AIM or the blog.

So maybe ordering the nameplate was a bit premature? ;)

-Tom
recommended: Weezer, Keep Fishin' and In The Garage

3 comments:

mance01 said...

Way to fight the power :) Viva la revolucion!

Anonymous said...

10 months and you don't have a nameplate? sad. I was Nameplate Girl at my old job and you would've had it by your first day.

Tom said...

wow :) that's great!
I also was supposed to receive a "new employee package" which included a stress ball with the company logo on it. I never received the package - and all I ever wanted was the stress ball.

-t