Friday, May 27, 2005

They like me, they really like me!

Today was a good day. That's not something I say very often. It's not that there aren't mostly bad days, it's that today is noteworthy.

Today started with tons of work. I had my six normal funds, in addition to the Ireland fund, and the giant fund that I'm still learning, and if I mess it up it's a big deal. Also, three guys are out of the office, one scheduled, one quit, and one called in, so I'm covering two more funds. It's pretty busy.

I sneak out for lunch, but it's quick because I have a lot of work to do. When I walk back into the office I bump into Sharon, a manager on the other side of the floor. She has been hovering around my desk looking for me because aparently without my knowledge my manager volunteered me for a roundtable focus group to adapt the training procedures for new hires. Ok, so we go to the group and waste half an hour.

Then, slush. The company bought the floor slush, in cotton candy, lemon, and tropical flavors. I had cotton candy.

Then, I head back to my desk to do the work that I haven't looked at in hours, and my manager pulls me into the conference room. He shuts the door and then goes on for ten minutes about how much my hard work is appreciated and that my good attitude has been recognized, and that he has just requested to his boss that I get a raise. "Nothing crazy," he said, "not like, ten thousdand dollars or anything." But hey, that's ok. You had me at "appreciated" you tell me you're giving me a raise too? That's icing on the cake. BAM

It's nice to be appreciated.

-Tom

recommended downloads:
Marcy Playground, Never, Comin' Up From Behind, and Rebel Sodville

3 comments:

mance01 said...

Sweet! Obviously, the AIM remains well hidden :) Congratulations!

Donny said...

I wonder if the appreciation is in any way correlated with the three people who were not in the office - especially the guy who quit.

Tom said...

How very perceptive. I too found it intriguing that my raise was only mentioned after the second person in my group left in as many weeks. He was also the thirteenth on the floor to pack it in. But I'm all for it if this exodus means a raise. ;)

-t