Monday, May 16, 2005

May The Force Be With You

In response to the comments on the previous post-

You know what? I don't want to be a part of your stupid club.

Besides, that would mean I would have to have spent my entire life not knowing how cool Mandalorian armor is, or that the biggest gangster on Tatooine is Jabba the Hutt. I would not have laughed at Weird Al's "The Saga Begins" or committed the lyrics to memory. I would not have spent one whole summer at the beach trying off and on to levitate rocks with the power of the Force. I would not have known exactly how funny a well-timed bleep can be.

If I'd never seen Star Wars I would know Alec Guiness as a brilliant film star, not as Obi-Wan Kenobi. I would not have understood Blink 182's "A New Hope." If I'd never seen Star Wars I wouludn't be able to tell the difference between a Mon Calamari and an Ewok.

Without Star Wars I wouldn't know lightsabers are the coolest weapons in the history of the galaxy. James Earl Jones would be Mufasa, and not the voice of the scariest being in the galaxy. If I hadn't seen Star Wars I would not believe in magic, in hope, in honor, and justice, and rooting for the underdog.

This is a post about everything that is good about Star Wars. So Adina and Kelly, you can shove your little club. I'm in a better club. I'm a fan. Sam, I'm with you. Opening weekend. For good or for bad. Even if it's a bust I'll still love it.

-Tom

recommended download:
Star Wars - Jedi Master (Techno Remix)

15 comments:

mance01 said...

Lol! I love it! Yay!! Although, just so you know, I have watched every single Star Wars and couldn't tell you for the life of me what a Mon Calamari is. I can only assume it resembles a squid. :-p

Tom said...

Admiral Ackbar yo. Return of the Jedi, assault on Death Star II.

:)

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen any of the Star Wars movies either.

But I think I would see this one just to see Hayden Christensen as a badass.

Anonymous said...

as a star wars fan i certainly hope you've seen the mel brooks spoof, space balls. equally as entertaining.

i'm more excited about this one because i heard hayden christensen doesn't talk much in it. no more painful "i don't like sand" lines!

Anonymous said...

when it did become kosher to post your comments in your blog?

is there a character called "Thomas Dorkus"? Oh wait I wouldn't know I'VE NEVER SEEN STAR WARS.

Tom said...

I felt I should post this comment on the home page just in case everyone doesn't read every comment on every post, or, just in case there are skimmers out there.

Also, Rosy, the "I don't like sand" line was fine. Natalie Portman was the problem with that movie. I hope her character's death is gruesome and painful.

Tom said...

ps. Adina, it's my blog and I'll post whatever I feel like. "kosher" riiiight. Don't underestimate the power of the Force.

Kate Mills said...

preach on, preacher.

Anonymous said...

this is possibly the best blog confrontation since the hilario incident of 2005.

Tom said...

this is also the second most commented on post in my blog (gilmore girls with 16 or so is still in the lead)

just think, if I hadn't published last entry's fifth comment as this post we could have broken that record without breaking a sweat!

-tom

ps adina, make sure to read the last comment on the previous post, and also to check out your link on the sidebar.

Anonymous said...

Star Wars fans are nuts.

Hayden! Hot!

I don't understand the Tomato link.

Tom said...

yes, star wars fans are nuts. but so are n'sync fans.

the tomato link:
you say tom-a-to, I say tom-ah-to. because some say felicious, some say selena, some say selecia, some say ferocious, some say snake. a rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet.

-tom

Tom said...

also, to follow up on your lonelyinlivejournalland comment

come to the dark side. be a blogger. everyone is doing it.

I think hayden is a good actor. I do not think he's hot. natalie, on the other hand, is very pretty, and very not a good actress...except maybe in garden state, but come on that totally could have been a fluke, I say her dismal portrayal of padme in episode two cancels out all the good work she's ever done.

-t

mance01 said...

I don't know what's up with Natalie. I love her in all things not Star Wars. I thought she was awesome in Garden State and Closer. It's probably George Lucas..using some kind of Vader-like death-grip on her acting skills. Maybe she'll break free this episode. We can only hope.

Anonymous said...

"we can only hope"


that could be A NEW HOPE