Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Better than me

Do you ever get the feeling that you're better somplaces than others? It's true. It's a real thing that really happens. I know people. I know people. This happens to them.

These people that I know say things like "I'm better on the phone." Or, sometimes, they say the opposite of that, "I'm not good on the phone." implying, (obviously), that they are better in person, not on the phone.

I bring it up because, lately, I'm begining to feel like I'm better online. That's right. Here, and also on AIM. Better online than in person, and most certainly better online than on the phone (not that I use the phone overmuch, and usually not in situations where I would need to be good at it). The point is this:

I have always held that I am an excellent communicator, but now I am begining to believe that my typed-out kind of communications are more me than my spoken communications. Get it? Is this making sense? I'm more me online than in person.

Which is totally ok with me. I may get worried later, you know, if this continues, but for right now, I'm not worried, because the extent that I'm not the me I am online in person is not great. I am me in person to a lesser extent than I am me online, but not greatly so. (I used lesser and greatly in that last sentence. I write phenomenally well.)

Causes? I believe this phenomenon, or rather, this manifestation of the no-doubt worldwide phenomenon, to be the result of practice. Given almost a complete seven hours a day where communication with the outside world is restricted to typeable mediums (email, AIM, blogging) I use my manual means of communication much more often than I previously had, and my vocal capabilities much less: I type more than I talk. My fingers know what I want to say through the computer faster than my mouth knows what I want to say out loud. I am tempted to perform a pseudo experiment and carry a keyboard around with me. When next I am engaging in person-to-person verbal communications I will take out the keyboard and type the conversation while simultaneously speaking the conversation (well, yes, my half of the conversation) aloud. Or out loud. Whichever you prefer. (thanks to kat and donny).

With heartfelt concern for your well-being and happiness,
Tom

I recommend American Gigolo, by Weezer

3 comments:

mance01 said...

You know when muscles aren't used, they start to atrophy? Make sure that your verbal/people skills are not slowly withering away as your online skills suck the juice from them. I know this guy that I loved to talk to online...but then when I started talking to him in person- my God. I couldn't stand him. Totally different person online. But, as long as your personas stay fairly connected, I think you'll be fine. :)

Anonymous said...

you have way to much time on your hands to think of these things

Tom said...

I have way too much time on my hands.