Monday, April 18, 2005

Time away

The more time I spend away from work the more time I want to spend away from work. Work sucks. And I'll tell you why. Work doesn't mean anything. I spent three months interviewing for a job, I rejected offers from direct advertising groups, and poorly run start-up companies. I settled for this job because the benefits outweighed the detriments. The more time I spend away from this job the more I realize that the detriments are growing heavier.

I don't want to be a plug-in employee. All I wanted was a job with a company that wanted me. That is not the job I have. I settled for a spot that could be filled by anyone. The company does not know me, does not need me. They need someone with a college degree - and really, from the work I do (from the lack of work there is for me to do) I can tell you the college degree is a luxury for the HR department, this could be done by anyone with two years of high school education. They don't care that I juggle. They don't care how I solve problems, or that I take the greatest pleasure in understanding problems and coming up with the how-to to fix them. They only care that I fit the mold, the minimum requirements, and that I haven't screwed up. There uncaring approach is wearisome. Very soon I am going to purchase a car. Soon after that I would like to find an apartment. What I would most like to find is a company that wants to find me. Some enterprise that is looking for something specific, specifically me.

It's nice to be wanted.

-Tom
recommended download:
The Who: Can't Explain
Bob Schneider: King Of The World

1 comment:

Donny said...

Perhaps you should move to Milwaukee? I'm organizing an Ultimate Frisbee game this weekend. We could use you.