Wednesday, April 20, 2005

e-People

That's it. I'm swearing off electronic relationships. They're getting weirder and creepier everyday. This was prompted when I found way too many people I know on google. It started out innocently enough, I was thinking "wouldn't it be a hoot to find some obscure webpage someone put together in high school" but is that what I found? NO. I found instead online profile, online journals, online photo albums, all told, way too much information floating around online. Hey, I'm guilty too. I've got profiles on thefacebook on Friendster, I'm sitting here writing entries in an online journal, and they're all public, no limited access, I'm just as googleable. Before, when we all still lived in obscurity the only thing that google came up with was a photo of me juggling. (which was really cool, btw). Now though, it's out of hand. There is too much information available to anyone out there. I'm swearing off e-relations.

I'm now seeking out friendships with real, actual people. Friendships that depend on being in the same place, physically, to interact: Bars, resturants, libraries, shows, movies, coffee houses, dorms, apartments, and so on.

However. So not to exclude the other group, the-people-I've-met-but-never-in-person (deppy, c-dep, samantha, rosy, and so on) I'm going to maintain those connections. I'm talking about building more bridges, (real ones), but not tearing any down.

Oh, and, since I do love AIM so much, once we've met, in person, e-lations are totally acceptable. People move away, are busy, and so on. That's what AIM's for, and cell phones, and email, and online journals even.

Electronic communication is messing with me. Even this post is rambling and incoherent. Just an assortment of semi-related sentences. I'll try and clarify. What I'm saying is:

Get Real.

-Tom
recommended downloads:
bob schneider, king of the world, and I'm good now
green day, when I come around
and
from the Castlevania II soundtrack, Simon's Theme (Rock Remix)

2 comments:

mance01 said...

You should post your juggling picture...I tried to get my friend to teach me to juggle, but I can barely keep two balls in the air, let alone three or more. Juggling ability = muy impressive. Also, I'm glad you're not e-bandoning your internet friends. Also, I'd recommend downloading "Sooner or Later" by Breaking Benjamin. It's greatness. :)

Kate Mills said...

Ok, let's hang out then!
:)