Tuesday, March 15, 2005

"Now"

So I'm a little jet-lagged, I think. Well, probably. I was on the other side of the globe for a week and adjusted to the local time, so now, back home, I don't know what time my body thinks it is, I only know it isn't "now."

Day one, Monday: We left the airport in the afternoon, five o'clock or thereabouts and flew for what seemed like a 38 hour day. For the rest of the week some of the other parents on the trip were referring to the first two days of our trip as "Moosday." Once in Rome we began a foot tour of the city on day two, I mean day three, we walked all over and visited many many churches. My favorite was St. John Lateran, the Pope's parish church. We also viewed acnient ruins and crumbling temples from the Roman empire's prime. I took lots of pictures with my digital camera (which was great).

The next day we took a bus trip to Pompei and explored the city. Vesuvius kicked its ass. Since the disaster that destroyed Pompei the volcano has erupted about once every fifty years, the next expected eruption is like, now.

The next day (Friday?) we took a bus tour of Rome, this was nice because we had a tour guide with us pointing out important things, like Mussolini's balcony and Sofia Loren's penthouse apartment. On this trip we got to go inside the Colusseum and the Sistine Chapel.

Finally on our last day we hit the few remaining spots we'd missed, took three taxis and the subway where I almost lost a leg and a grandparent in the quickly closing doors. Capped off with a view of Rome from the top of the dome on St. Peter's Basillica we finished our vacation with an even longer flight home.

So I still don't know what time it is, but I'm slowly adjusting, I'll get there.

-Tom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

later I'll post about the obnoxious americans. and also I found the post I intended to put up about the girl at work, but it's totally sappy and leaning toward pathetic, so if I put it up at all it will def be an edited version. ;)

stupid fucking americans.