Monday, January 31, 2005

So here's how it lays out

I think to myself sometimes, "I'm a little bit different than everyone else." Specifically because I'm looking forward to marriage. That's right, marriage. Run, screaming for the exits you twentysomethings. Cover your ears and sing "La la la - La la la" you recent college graduates. Dive back down under the covers you faithful blog readers. Marriage. I said it - what.

I blame my parents. Well, I blame my parents for a lot of things, being a Red Sox fan (thanks dad), artistic ability (thanks mom), good morale compass (thanks guys) and so on. I blame them too for providing a stable and loving home life for me. It's all their fault.

Were I raised in a dysfunctional environment maybe I'd be of the mindset that seems so stereotypical of the adult-college-male: score with chicks, don't look back. But no, happy home life, great family. All their fault. My whole life is directed by one driving force. Everything I do is for the girl I'm going to marry. I haven't met her yet, or don't know it, but there it is. Everything I do is for that girl. The decisions I make go something like this, in my head: "if I do this, what person does that make me, and is that the person I want to be for my future wife?"

There are, of course, other questions I ask myself, but they fall subsequent to that one big one. It's internal, automatic.

But I haven't met the girl, or I don't know it yet, or whatever. So in the meantime, after that question has been answered I'm mostly concerned with my own well-being, with my own contentment. Selfish? yes. but if it makes me happy, I'm ok with that.

On an unrelated note, my coworker has just delivered me a gatorade from the vending machine. Thanks coworker, you're pretty cool.

-Tom

ps (on a related note) you really should download Breakthru by Queen, it's good.

No comments: