Monday, January 31, 2005

cabbage head, artichoke heart

well, donny's online. way to go donny.
donny's also in town. sweet.
You know, I've been having a good time going out and drinking with the old gang, but I can only imagine how it's been for donny - a marathon session of meeting up and talking and running around and meeting more people and catching up and talking and running around and meeting even more people etc etc etc. and he's gotta work tomorrow morning. in another state. in another time zone. tonight's trivia at our house. we're gonna kick some butt. so everybody bring your a-game. we're talking sopwith camel, sergei federov, the green hornet, bands from new jersey, queen of crap, a-game. our house'll never know what hit em.

ok, now work stuff:
as I came in today I saw a coworker, mary, entering the building right in front of me. she went through the doors, onto our floor, and before even taking her coat off or putting her bag down headed right for the vending machines. she got herself a diet coke and headed over to her cubicle. meanwhile I'd taken off my coat, started up my computer and shut off my ipod. then
snap. pop. opened diet coke!

Now, I'm no nutritionist, but I'm pretty sure a diet coke isn't the best way to start your morning. ignoring the "balanced breakfast" touted by major cereal producers everywhere is one thing. but I don't think sugar, or nutrasweet, or splenda, or whatever the sweet tasting substance, natural or artificial that you've got in that carbonated beverage can be good for you. plus there's the caffiene, not that I don't indulge in a coffee every once-in-a-while, but, well, that's a social norm! at least it's accepted.

Has anyone else heard the rumor that diet coke is addictive? or at least creates a dependence? something about the artificial sweeteners building up in your system, affecting your brain, you need more to feel normal. does that worry anyone else? it worries me that my supervisor is turning into a coke-head right here at the office, under her bosses' very noses

but you know, I probabyl wouldn't be bothered by this as much if she'd also had a bagel or an orange with it. at least that looks like breakfast. :-Þ

-Tom

recommended downloads:
Queen, Breathru
Dave Matthews Band, Two Step
Eve 6, Nocturnal

2 comments:

K said...

I routinely drink Coke for breakfast.

Or at least I will through next Tuesday.

But I haven't had any today, because to add to the shit that has been my Monday (which extends further than what I told you on IM), I have no change.

Of course, at this point, I have no appetite, either.

Tom said...

I see a truck stop up ahead so I change lanes
I need a cup of co-ofee and a couple dollars change
callin' Baton Rouge!