Monday, January 31, 2005

And another thing...

We are discouraged from being online with Instant Messenger at work. (also, we're not supposed to use the internet overmuch, but that's a different story). Anyway, AIM: discouraged, at work.

So, I half-heartedly attempt to keep it low-profile, as you who have my screenname know, I'm online from 10:30 in the morning until I leave at night. And mostly, AIM helps out. The preferences are pretty good; things like hiding the taskbar button when AIM is minimized, Hide windows when I'm away. So, when I'm away and minimized the only detecable evidence of AIM is a tiny icon next to the clock. No flashing buttons, no pop up windows, it's pretty well hidden.

That said, it's not like a lot of people are IMing me during the day anyway. I can expect a "Hey when's lunch" IM about 12:30, and I know it's coming so it's easy to hide. But everyone else is at work all day, and they're actually working, so I don't get a lot of traffic. It's at the point where I don't even have to put up an away message to hide the windows, because there aren't any.

UNLESS MY MANAGER HAPPENS TO BE STANDING OVER MY SHOULDER. It's uncanny. I can leave for an hour and a half lunch, without putting up an away message, and no one IMs me.
I can sit here at my computer for three hours doing nothing and no one IMs me. Hyper-coffee manager steps into my cubicle and says "Hey, open up the Yield workbooks I have to show you how to change something" and BAM! IM window. And now I'm like, crap, Alt+Tab! Alt+Tab! get off the screen! I get back to excel and BAM! another window! How the hell does this happen? We're talking coworkers usually swamped with work and have a three minute break just to say hi, we're talking little cousins home from school who are IMing me and can't even spell "hi" conversations popping up only when my manager is in my cube.

I tell ya, I think I'm getting a reputation.

But, as the guy in the next group over said of me one time "why are they giving you a hard time, you're online all day and still get your work done...as opposed to other people around here, who can't even get their work done."

anyway, that was one more thing.
-Tom

recommended download:
Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody (you'd be surprised how many people don't actually have this song)

2 comments:

Donny said...

Why would someone download Bohemian Rhapsody when they can read Crime & Punishment and get the same story?

Anonymous said...

yeah, what am I supposed to do for the three hours when I have nothing to do? State Street...trying to destroy my life! Anyway, it's just about 12:30...when's lunch?