Monday, March 10, 2008

Novelties

I've got nothing significant to report today, and work has been muddling along same as always for a couple of weeks in a row. So here are some new things:

New Stuff:

Flogging Molly Float

It seems every release is better than the previous album. I like every song on this disc and have had five or six stuck in my head over the weekend.
The cradle was damaged, dug by the grave
Where you lie in the sin, for mortal's the soul
Forgive me this, Father, before I go cold
From burden of grief and all I regret
Spare me the conscience before I forget

Now I'm just hoping to see a Rock Band download featuring Flogging Molly for St. Patrick's Day (Hear that, Harmonix? Get on it!)




Steve Martin Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life

I started reading this on the train this morning and have already finished the first third of the book. The introduction calls the book an autobiography, but it lacks the detail, and instead reads ike a memoir (or memoirette) of Martin's stand-up career, jumping from highlight to highlight, rather than recounting a blow-by-blow of each performance, or delving into any of the primary or supporting characters. Martin introduces his family with thin cross-sections and covers his early childhood in ten pages.



It seems a well-written, well-edited reflection on Martin's club career, and I look forward to absorbing the rest. The most enjoyable aspect is Martin's insight into his own motivations, and the origins and elements he incorporated into his stand-up routine.






Next up on the list is a monster two-thousand page tome Quicksilver, by Neil Stephenson, and Moby Dick, by Melville.

-t

No comments: