Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Hang-gliding: A Brief Report

Having not updated in a while I decided to regale you all, my readers, with a story about how tired I am, as that is, seemingly, my now permantent conscious (almost wrote, "waking") state.

But! that's boring. Tired is boring.

Instead, I'll recount a dream I had once:


I was hang-gliding.

I'm in first-person view mode, none of this out-of-body experience mumbo-jumbo. I know I was hang gliding because I could see my arms holding the steering bar, I could look up and see the point of the hang glider above me, symmetrical stripes radiating from the point, blue, orange, red, yellow. Feel the wind on my face.

It's a bright sunny day. It's hot, though not as hot here in the glider as it is down on the ground. Also, markedly less humid, I assume.

I'm flying over the city of Miami, along the coast. There are a few very tall buildings, what I assume are hotels, a strip of pavement, white sand, and the sea green/blue water. I can just barely make out brightly colored beach towels and the white V's of speed boat wakes.

The feeling of flight is exhilarating. For fun, and to see if I can exercise any control over the sensation, I pull on the bar and soar up on the warm air currents to gain altitude. Then I dive, lower than is safe, and back up again.

It's a tandem hang glider, and strapped in next to me is Toucan Sam. From the Fruit Loops box.



-t

recommended download:
Flogging Molly, Lightning Storm

No comments: