Monday, February 25, 2008

More Weight! (in the form of little gold statuettes)

Time for a review of my predictions for the Eightieth Academy Awards.

Best Picture
I'd say it's a toss-up between There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men -- I'm picking NCFOM to take it.

My pick: No Country for Old Men
Winner: No Country for Old Men



Best Director
I'm picking the Coens in this category. This may be because NCFOM was brilliantly directed, or because I've recently seen The Big Lebowski.

My pick: Joel Coen and Ethan Coen - No Country for Old Men
Winner: Joel Coen and Ethan Coen - No Country for Old Men


Best Actor
I thought Day-Lewis got shafted for Gangs of New York and anyone who didn't vote for him then will certainly vote for him now, putting him over the top.

My pick: Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood
Winner: Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood


Best Actress
No idea on this one...I'm going with the foreign language title - Marion Cotillard.

My pick: Marion Cotillard - La Vie en Rose (La môme)
Winner: Marion Cotillard - La Vie en Rose (La môme)


Best Supporting Actor
Javier Bardem for this award, but Michael Clayton seems to be a favorite among critics...I'm still picking the Western.

My pick: Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men
Winner: Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men


Best Supporting Actress
But I have seen I'm Not There and Cate Blanchett was absolutely amazing as rock 'n roll star Bob Dylan. She runs away with it.

My pick: Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There
Winner: Tilda Swinton - Michael Clayton


Best Original Screenplay
Juno was good, but come on, a story about a guy falling in love with a life-size doll?

My pick: Lars and the Real Girl - Nancy Oliver
Winner: Juno - Diablo Cody


Best Adapted Screenplay
NCFOM is two-to-one, and the other to movies split the remaining odds (eight to one each)...(I could probably be a bookie -- I understand fractions. [edit] I understand fractions, but I may not really know how they apply to odds. Maybe I couldn't be a bookie. Or, maybe I could, but my odds would be fair and I'd never make any money)

My pick: No Country for Old Men - Joel and Ethan Coen
Winner: No Country for Old Men - Joel and Ethan Coen


Some closing thoughts:

Best Animated Movie is a stupid category. If your animated movie isn't good enough to get nominated for a real category (Disney's Beauty and the Beast 1991 Best Song, Best Original Score Winner, Best Picture nominee) you should just be happy for the millions of parents who'll be forking over $25 a pop for the DVD to shut up their whiny spoiled brats instead of plying the Academy with yacht rides and solid gold chocolate bars so they'd invent a category that can only support two thirds of a movie every year.

Disney might get another Original Song, since three-fifths of the nominees in that category are Enchanted. [edit - but it's my understanding they totally suck][update - Enchanted lost]

Oh, and just so you know, of the nominated movies discussed above, I've [still] only seen Juno and I'm Not There. I liked them both. (I really liked Juno).



[Final Word]

I only missed two categories, and it's my belief Cate Blanchett's statue was wrongly awarded to Tilda Swinton because, come on, she's famous, and did a good job, and CB has like, four little gold guys already, right? So I'm not really wrong, I just forgot to factor in previous winnings vs. Irish descent. No biggie. I definitely missed the Juno screenplay win, so that's a legit miss.

Any votes on best dressed?

-t

5 comments:

Donny said...

Go see Persepolis. I loved it. So much better than that movie about the rat.

Miss Lindsay Mak said...

Thoughts on "Falling Slowly" winning best song?

Tom said...

Not many, I've never heard it. I'm pleased as punch it wasn't from Enchanted. Did Eddie Vedder get nominated for Into the Wild? He probably should have.

eileen said...

If you saw "Once" you definitely have been rooting for Falling Slowly- a sweet and simple song (one of several from the movie) created by indie rockers, not an LA movie studio.

Miss Lindsay Mak said...

I was definitely rooting for "Falling Slowly" for a few reasons:

1. The winning speeches were great. Especially Glen Hansard's "Make art, make art, make art" at the end. LOVE IT.

2. I love love loved Once. Watch it.

3. The artists are actually artists. The Swell Season (the album released by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova) is an exercise in simplistic beauty. I also love The Frames (Glen Hansard's band).

4. It wasn't from a Disney movie about a fictional character walking around Manhattan and finding true love with a hot guy instead of what she would really find - the clap and nowhere to sleep.