Monday, October 22, 2007

Doubting Thomas

Ok, I feel like I have to be honest with you, readers.



Watching this live, there was a split second, one tiny, minute, very, very, small, fraction of time when I thought, maybe, Coco wasn't going to catch this one. That, maybe, this ball was going to drop over his glove, and bounce.

It's right when he changes direction. You can see him making a beeline for this ball, and just as he reaches the track, curling out, toward the triangle.

This catch, I think, is both a demonstration of his reknowned speed and athleticism, and symbolic of his character: Crisp put it on the line, smashing into the wall, not because he's been playing there everyday, but in spite of being a defensive replacement.

I didn't see one interview with Crisp after the game. I saw Papelbon, Youkilis, and Pedroia on three different networks; I saw Ortiz and Ramirez; I saw Francona, Epstein, Werner, and Henry.

I'm gonna be pissed if Crisp doesn't walk away with the Gold Glove this season.

-t

I was looking for a highlight reel of Crisp's catches this season. I found this.

(and, ok, ok, there are a bunch of videos with Crisp on NESN. Way to go NESN! including some post-game interviews.)

4 comments:

El_Gump said...

Did you SEE that catch Coco made?

El_Gump said...

If that last comment doesn't produce instant nostalgia...I don't know what would.

Donny said...

I thought Coco Crisp was the name of a character for sugary cereal. You know - Snap, Crackle, and Coco Crisp.

Anonymous said...

Is Coco Crisp OK? As soon as I saw that catch I was thinking YIKES KNEE LIGAMENTS.