Monday, August 27, 2007

Easy Street

I'm in the hunt for a nice place to go and chill out for an hour a day outside lunch time.

I'm bringing lunch instead of buying it, and eating at my desk instead of wandering the financial district looking for a sandwich that will cost less than a weekly MBTA pass.

Working through lunch gives me an hour's break everyday I can spend before noon for errands, a coffee break, or finishing the chapter I started on the train that morning.

Except I can't find a comfortable chair.

So I'm re-embarking on a quest I'd started years ago in college (No, not the quest, you BU grads). I'm looking for an easy chair in a quiet room to relax.

It took me a few years at BU, and I never found a space accessible to the public that really met my needs. The best chair I found within a ten-minute walk from class was in the science building (third floor lobby). It was quiet, no foot traffic, and well-lit. The chairs could have been a bit more comfortable, but they were miles beyond the normal comfort curve BU furniture usually rests on.

Now I'm based in the financial district and I've got the same needs. Well-lit, not busy, comfortable, and warm - especially with winter coming up.

And I refuse to retreat to Starbucks.

I'll keep you updated.

-t

2 comments:

craziasian said...

are there are smaller branches of Boston Public Library that you could go to? We have one in Philly that is small but comfortable and quiet. Also, I tend to go to bookstores in the kids section - rarely are kids there and they always have comfy floor seating. of course, during the day you might encounter more kids, but not enough to bother you.

Tom said...

The bookstore is a good suggestion, only two problems.

(1)the stupid kid from my first job frequents the local bookstores

and

(2) Unlike some commenters, I'm a giant. There is no way I'm going to fit comfortably into a kid's chair, no matter how plush.