Wednesday, August 01, 2007

.500

Final softball game of the year!

Reviewing my season's stats before the game I was 11-for-23 going into the game and would need a 1-for-1 performance to hit the .500 mark for the season.

My first at bat came in the second inning, and I beat out an infield hit! I advanced to second base on a walk, but was tagged out trying to slide under a tag on a ground ball to third. My team (the blue team) took the lead.

Unfortunately, a few throwing errors in the field gave the bad guys (the red team) a few runs back and made it a ballgame.

I didn't help much by grounding out to first base my next time up - which also dropped me back below .500!

We scored a few, they scored a few to keep it close, and then in the seventh inning I led off with a hit up the middle and scored on a two-run home run. (.500 again!)

And in the bottom of the sixth I played some stellar defense to hang on to the one run lead. After a pop fly to third base to start the inning the bad guys loaded the bases with a few hits and a walk, then brought in two runs with a single to make it a one-run game.

So, with one out and runners on first and second I caught a screaming line drive at first base and dove at the runner, caught off the bag, to apply a tag and double him off to hold the lead!

We scored twice more in the top of the seventh and got three quick outs in the bottom of the inning to win our final game.

Go blue team.

Tom's season totals:
AB 26
H 13
AVG 0.500
BB 0
K 4
R 9
RBI 8
2B 1
3B 1
HR 1
SLG .731
OBP .500
OPS 1.231

Not too shabby for my first season in organized ball since freshman year of high school. Next year I'll be shooting for zero strikeouts and more doubles.

-t

No comments: