Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Best laid plans... to rant and ramble

I've been invited to a wedding this weekend. (woo!) I've also been invited to a wedding near the end of April. (woo!)

I'd planned to buy a new suit for the occasion(s), something light, and spring-y.

Then I found a suit store on the same block as my new job and it was having a sale!

So...I decided it would be way easier just to wear one of the suits I already have.

Also, it'll save me some money.

Ok, quick updates: I've been singing "More Than A Feeling" in my head for days now. I still don't know any of the lyrics. This has, of course, earned me a few funny looks from my coworkers, but I don't care. I'm pretty sure you're civicly obligated to love Boston if you're from Boston. I'm pretty sure that also goes for Boston Baked Beans, the Boston Red Sox, and the Boston Strangler - I mean the Boston Pops.

For those of you wondering if I'd finished my book, I have. I loved it. I've moved on to Bram Stoker's Dracula. I've also decided to really sit down and update the hell out of my LibraryThing booklist this weekend. Right now the only things I've got on there are some trade paperbacks and sci-fi/detective novels. (Actually, when I'm finished, that's still probably all that will be there, there'll just be a ton more of them).

For those others of you who care nothing for what I do for recreation in my spare time, but instead smugly enjoy the thought of me toiling away for hours, nay, days, upon end here at my new job, slaving over a blurry CRT and tiny-fonted spreadsheets, get over yourselves. "Lo," they say "Tom has work to do now. No longer can he cast his web of laziness and inefficiency outward to his readers and drag them into his loathful existence, he has been smited (smoted?) and we rejoice!" (I imagine that's what they say. My enemies usually appear biblical in my imagination)(or Amish?).

I'd like to address that point by point:
- I have not yet toiled for days. No all-nighters or sleep-overs at the office.
I did come in on a Saturday, which turned out to be a total waste of time, and gave me cause to rededicate myself to never ever ever coming in to work on a weekend ever again. It's not worth it.

- I don't stare at a blurry monitor or tiny spreadsheets. We've all got nice big, giant flat screens - and I know how to change font sizes in Excel.

- I do have work to do now - I'd just like to point out that I used to have work to do then as well. Way back then, when I was still working under hypermanager's tutelage. Loads of work. Which I hated. I've got plenty of work now, and it's a pleasant change from trying to figure out how to kill eight hours of doing nothing at my last job with Insolent Bob staring over my shoulder. And it's not difficult, it's just constant. But, I've resolved to leave every day between five and five-thirty from here on out. Last week I was stuck at work until after six four out of five nights. I'm trying not to let that happen again.

- I have not been smoted (smitten?) and wasn't dragging you readers into my miserable lazy existence in any case. You're here because I write brilliantly and hilariously, and also because you think I'm the coolest thing to hit blogging since sliced bread - until you see this little number.

And I guess that's it. No new suit, I haven't started my taxes, I have started a new book about the most nefarious of evil creatures, and I fully intend to beat Super Mario 64 DS soon. Oh, and try this game, it's a blast.

1 comment:

mance01 said...

Smoten?