Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Shortcut for Bemused Frustration is Ctrl+P

First note: The employees here are running on a mishmash of operating systems from Win 2000 (now six years old), to Win XP (four years old?), and Vista on the shared terminals, and VP's desktops, Blackberries, etc.

Second note: Since moving cubicles I have been unable to print.

So I called IT.

Phone Transcript:

Tom: Since moving cubicles I'm unable to print. Can you configure my PC to fix this?

IT: Ok, do you know how to add a printer?

Tom: No.

IT: [exasperated sigh] Click on the start menu, there's a button for printers and faxes.

Tom: No there isn't. I have a menu option for Settings>Printers, though.

IT: [confused pause] - Oh. You're running 2000.

Tom: I guess.

IT: I'll - I'll send you a document with instructions.



For those of you readers laughing at my ignorance, and savy enough to figure out what OS you're running, or to add your own printer, I would like to point out that I could probably have figured that stuff out on my own if I had any permissions at all on this machine.

I don't.

I can't even access the clock on the taskbar, nevermind open up the hidden "My Computer icon." Asking to modify network permissions is certainly out of the question.

I've added the printer, but now can't print to it. I'm waiting for IT to get back to me.

It would be nice if the computers here were standardized. Having one set of standard instructions would make the IT guy's job easier. Having an upgraded computer would make my job easier.

Not working here at all would make my job really easy.

-t

4 comments:

Lori said...

You just need to set it as your default printer and you should be all set (a little right click). If you don't have permission to do that it may be big brother's way of punishing you along with the terrible seat assignment. At least it is Wednesday :)

Tom said...

No, no. That's wrong. The printer no longer exists.

We moved cubicles, and they moved the printers to the small conference room, the new "priting hub." They also managed to reassign all the netowkr paths to the printers without telling anyone, so now trying to print to #13 even if it is your default will get you zip, because there is no longer a printer #13. Same hardware, different path. What's the path? No idea. How do I find out? No idea. Is it written on the printers themselves? Nope.

Turns out, even after finding a printer on the network I don't have drivers for it.

Nice tip, though, with the "Default printer." Never would have guessed that on my own.

Anonymous said...

I have some of that same fun at my job. I can add printers no problem, but I can't send jobs to them. Or, more precisely, I can send all the jobs I want but they will not print and the printer will jump down off the table its on, walk over to my desk and call me names. The only printers I can use are far away. IT can't seem to get me the proper permissions to use any of the many many printers that I can see from my desk.

Keep a bottle of vodka at your desk. Whenever a print job fails you should do a shot.

Anonymous said...

PC LOAD LETTER